[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whites

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:15:39 -0400 (EDT)

And?  I don't get the point.  White was never desirable.  It  wasn't a DQ
and now it is...Tom Brown gave the whole history, no need for me to  repeat.

If you read what she says you know it isn't sound science.  We know we
don't get whites by breeding faded B/Ts to black......so??????

Now we are citing an eccentric old lady as...what????  A  point????

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 8/21/2013 6:04:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The  German Shepherd Dog in America was published in 1956 before the
change.

Mr Dodge wrote:

"Over-emphasis in breeding black and tans in  certain strains produced
cream and white, both of which were considered
undesirable. Now color at this stage was difficult to manage.  "

"The white and cream, which evolved from the early tans and lighter  browns
in combination with black, was not too difficult
to hold in check,  since by means of seletion we can, in some
circumstances, start or stop white  almost at will"

"If we want all white we can make the white increase  and the dark recede
until no dark remains save a blob on the root of the
tail and the base of the ears.-and we can get rid of that if we keep at
it."

Theresa

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whites
To:  scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, August  21, 2013, 5:15 PM

A good read, especially this:

Over the years  Mrs. Dodge owned some well-pigmented white
Shepherds. Before
bringing  out the tar and feathers, please note that Mrs.
Dodge passed away
in  1973, and up until 1968 white was a disqualification only
if albino
characteristics were evident. On top of that, who would
presume to tell  Mrs.
Dodge what she could or could not do? She was a standard
setter, a
Renaissance woman well ahead of her time, and the first
woman to judge  for
the Westminster Kennel Club, where her assignment was to do
Best In  Show.
Mrs. Dodge judged shows in every state in this country, and
the  top shows in
Canada, England, Ireland, and Germany, and wrote two  books,
“The English
Cocker Spaniel in America,” and, collaborating with  her
curator of art, Miss
Josephine Z. Rine, “The German Shepherd Dog  in
America.”

"only if albino characteristics were evident."
Hmmm.  I wonder how Mrs.
Dodge would feel  today.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog forever