[ SHOWGSD-L ] White German Shepherds

  • From: Vicki Roye <vicki.roye@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 06:10:01 -0800 (PST)

This has been really interesting round of debate and conversation, regarding
the white GSDs.

But there is really only one thing at issue here......the purpose of our club
and our Mission Statement. The purpose of the club is to promote breeding of
GSDs that conform to the standard.

The Mission Statement lists as one objective, the presentation of Awards of
Merit to animals who fall within this standard.

There is NO question that white or other off  colored GSDs have GSD DNA.

There is NO question that some of these animals are FINE EXAMPLES.

There is NO question that having a standard in and of itself makes the playing
field "not fair."  Breeding to a standard automatically makes your breeding
program "not fair."

There is also NO question that they have been allowed to compete in our
performance events for years--and receive AKC awards (though not the Awards of
Merit from our parent club). They have NEVER been ineligible for any and all
AKC awards.

So the real question is NOT are these animals GSDs....they are.  It is not "is
it fair" because it's not. It is not can they enter and compete in performance
events, because they can.

The question is do we, as a club, want to amend the purpose of our club and
change our standard and our Mission Statement. What we should not do, in my
opinion, is fly in violation of this
written purpose and Mission. To me this would NOT be a Board decision, but a
decision of the membership.