[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: White GSD....think about it.

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AA GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 03:38:22 -0500

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:32:18 -0800 (PST), carolyn mckenna
<carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>There are certainly health issues with other breeds who are not supposed to be
>white:
>the white collie must have color on the head, the boxer must not be more than
>one third
>white, Cardigan corgis must have color surrounding the eye, Shelties may not
>be more
>than half white, etc.  Much of this involves deafness, blindness, and
>neurological problems.

White GSDs are not, in fact, white. In the GSD breed,
white is a masking gene. It's not merely another color,
like it is in those other breeds you mentioned. Thus, as
far as I am aware, it is not subject to causing the
problems you state.

There is a white sheltie club (or there USED to be; it may
have been disbanded) that promoted the color-headed white
dogs. Their dogs were *gorgeous*. Like CH white collies,
they have no problems with blindness or deafness. A
"white" collie is different from a "white" GSD. Completely
different genes at work there!

In boxers and other breeds with deafness problems, the
white color is caused by the same gene that puts the Irish
("Lassie") markings on collies, shelties, border collies,
etc., but in the most extreme form. Guess what? That gene
is essential to the genetic makeup of TWO breeds, one of
which is my own. Thanks to the invention of the BAER test,
I'm happy to report that there are very few deaf bench
English setters being produced these days. That's quite
*unlike* the situation in the field lines where,
apparently, the folks didn't get the message about genetic
health testing.  :(

>Also, it is a known fact that white herding dogs are not respected by
>livestock.

With all due respect, the above statement is NOT "known
fact" at all. It's bunk! I knew a lady with wGSDs who went
over to Germany to study with one of the premier working
shepherds there. I can assure you that her dogs worked
sheep as well as any you'll ever see. Sheep respond to
herding dogs because they are aware that they are prey and
see the dog as a predator. Color is honestly not a factor.
It's just simple tradition that herding dogs be dark. But
the color is not what the stock are responding to. HTH! :)
--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx