[ SHOWGSD-L ] Where we stand

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

> I have been told that the ballot company has over 700 ballots in now, and
> there are another two weeks to go before the results are to be tabulated.
>  That
> would be about normal. I hope it is true.
> SNIP <
> Before our club agrees to suspend the by-laws, ...
> Evan

Is it possible, with the degree of passion in this election that we might
expect a few more than normal ballots filed?

And if we keep the time line as per our by-laws, do we not risk not
counting some ballots? And if we do not count them, are we not back in the
same boat we were in when ballots were counted late before?

So, what if we just don't panic and:
1. Let the election run it's course
2. Tabulate the results
3. Tabulate the late votes created by the mail service, Canada and/or the
fouled up envelopes, and see what effect it has on the results.
4. Decide at that point, if there is any affect, how to handle the next step.

Would we be in as big a mess this way as any other?

We certainly do not want to disenfranchise anyone and want every vote to
count. We certainly do not want to suspend the by-laws and enter an arena
of having no authority for our action. Those two statements, in this case,
seem to be in contradistinction to one another.

Some seem to prefer starting over, and that is well meaning except that we
have no ground of authority to do so, at least not in our by-laws. Others
prefer staying with the election as it stands, but if it is not inclusive
and is tarnished by mail delivery and returned ballots - over which we
have no control, than that is not what we want either.

The problem is, to certify an election and then count absent ballots is
not addressed in our by-laws either. So we are damned if we do and damned
if we don't.

Is there any precident or provisions in NY State law for changing the
results of a certified election if ballots are not able to get in?

Dave