[ SHOWGSD-L ] Where Am I?

  • From: "Shirley O'Brien" <alma_gsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SHOWGSD-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:00:36 -0800

I sent this message to Gary in response to his post about the
thunderstorm in Chicago.  Decided to send it to everyone.

"We sold our house in Magalia, CA.  It is set to close tomorrow.  While
we were up there today moving the last bit of stuff out, one of our
neighbors who maintains a rain gauge, told us that it had rained *46
inches in the month of December* at his house in Magalia--across the
road from ours.  It has rained 64 inches total this season (the season
runs from July 1 to June 30 but most of the rain--if not all--comes from
October through April).  The season average is 74 inches.   If we had
been living there this past December, I would be BONKERS!!!!!!  I am
SOOOOO glad we moved!  Gridley's average rainfall is about 23 inches per
year.  I do think we have gotten it all already.  :-) "

Gridley is a couple miles from the Feather River.  The river is close to
the top of its banks and I noticed that several orchards near the river
were flooded.  We haven's had any flooding in our little town.  Magalia,
also, had no flooding.  But there, the water just all runs down hill!!!
We have lived in this area for about 3 1/2 years after six years in Las
Vegas where I always joked that we got our annual rainfall quota of 4
inches in one storm that lasted two hours.

Shirley
Gridley, CA
(about 1 1/2 hour drive north of Sacramento)