[ SHOWGSD-L ] When you take it from my cold dead standard

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:44:05 EST

In a message dated 11/10/09 10:29:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Bokenkampgsd1 writes:

Frankly I was surprised at Dave giving so many selects.   Still have a hard
time grasping that on any other day any could go GVX.   But it is still up
to the one in the middle of the ring.  Some just find  more to give awards
to and I know Evan you like that.  It brings the  masses back again.
It was tried to restrict judges to a set amount and that got  thrown out
the door.   Canada does only award 10 but the entry is  usually much smaller.

I have always argued that it is  up to the judge. We elect him/her, and if
she/he wants to give three selects, so  be it.  If he/she sees the quality
to ten, twenty or thirty, it is her/his  opinion.

I also have yelled, (well maybe  not yelled) that we should improve the
breed every year by doing good breedings,  and some day, when Hunter Tank is
handling, every dog shown will be select  quality.

If we limit the number of  selects we are doing nothing other than grading
on a curve. I hated it in school  when they said there would be so many A's
and so many F's and the rest were  between, no matter how many great papers
there might be. Of course that was  because I was the standard for the F
paper, but that is another  story.

Dave, who I think did a great  job this year, saw that many of top quality
entries. As I looked them over, I  had to agree.  I see no good in limiting
the judge, or insisting that so  many be awarded, no matter what is shown.

Not that there is much right  about doing any of it.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/