[ SHOWGSD-L ] When you ask a judge......

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <louroshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>, <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 18:08:16 -0700

Stormy,  Probably half of the all breed judges I have shown under are fault
judges looking not at the outstanding  attributes of a dog, but  their
faults. The few judges I  have asked opinions of at all breeds confirmed
their incompetence by what they said.  A example still fresh in my mind was
when I showed a bitch at an all breed trying to get that one last point.
She lost to a total pet that the well known all breed handler was showing
and sending home after that show, because she said she couldn't finish her.
The judge told me I got beat on side gait.

Paul opines...

As a Judge of almost 15 years experience I will disagree with a lot of what
has been said on this subject. If I say "I did like your dog but I liked the
one in front of it a little bit better...on this day...I'm going to be
called a "suck up" and was not truthful. If I am honest with a reason why I
didn't put up the dog...I'm a fault Judge.

Give me a break. I learned my lesson a long time ago. I had a handler ask me
what I didn't like about a certain bitch. I didn't exactly remember the
bitch in question but said that class had some not so good bites and that
could have been it. The next day...2 women came walking through the crowd
dragging a bitch screaming..."This bitch doesn't have a bad bite!". Does
that jog anyone's memory? I have...in the past...asked a Judge about a dog
that went 2nd in a class and they couldn't remember the dog even if they'd
judged it less than an hour ago.

Everyone has their story but rarely does it speak to both sides. Ann speaks
of a Judge who claimed her animal lost on side gait and she almost laughed
cause that wasn't the case. Perhaps...in that Judges mind it was a true
statement. If it was...mark them offa your list Ann. Don't waste another sou
on em.

I continue to post that those involved in the sport keep a log of
Judges...their likes...their dislikes...their preferences. We've been doing
that for a long time. If it's the 1st time and they screw up...in your minds
eye...decide if you want to give them another chance or put them in the no
column. If you do give them another chance and they still screw up...pack it
in.

Do you all think Judges go out in the center of the ring to do a bad job? I
continue to ask the Judge's Seminar to take or suggest new Judge's (and even
some of the old Guard) to Herding Trials to see our breed move off lead the
way their body dictates they should move. To date all they do is play the
Herding Tape (with GVX x BOSF x Selects herding sheep) before the seminar
begins. I will beg the question and tally the results...How many Judge's on
"Da List" have been to more than 5 Herding Trials? Respond to me privately
and I will post the results in a few days...no names.

I might also ask the same question to those members of "Da List" and it
would probably be fewer than the Judges...but it would be an interesting
comparison.

Paul