[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: When the Levees broke

  • From: VDanhoffer@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:39:37 EDT

I didn't watch it.  I feel really bad for all the people of New  Orleans, but
feel that I can no longer hold my tongue.  I live on the  Mississippi Gulf
Coast.  Jim Cantore said it perfect Sunday  morning...........we ARE the
forgotten coast.  Our beautiful beaches, all  26 miles worth are destroyed.
For four
blocks north of the beach, there is  absolutely nothing.  The devastation
goes for about 50 miles.  I lost  the school where I teach, my parents lost all
their belongings as they took on  about 3 feet of water.

But guess what!  Our school was relocated by Oct 3.  By Jan. 3 we  were in
our temporary FEMA classrooms.  My parents and I went to pick out  new
furniture
today.  The Mississippi Gulf Coast is coming back by the hard  work of
everyone.  We have had volunteers from everywhere.  Our school  has not wanted
for
anything, as we had donations from 42 states!   Isn't that amazing!

So please, remember others also suffered from Katrina's fury.

To make this dog related, my SAR dog and I were activated to search in the
aftermath of Katrina.  Also, the local clubs have had to cancel or relocate
our dog shows because there are so few hotels.

Off my soap box now.

Barbie Balyeat
SAR Liaison GSDCA