[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: When Is it ok to bite?

  • From: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx
  • To: hollywoods@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:17:53 EST

In a message dated 11/16/2004 9:05:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hollywoods@xxxxxxx writes:
> We all feel we have dogs that will protect us......what is the fine line
> that says the dog can step in and do that.....If someone is coming at you
> threatening like this judge was is that a fine line??

Not sure if anyone wrote back to this yet but will share MY opinion

The time its ok for my dogs to bite is when they are told its OK by me or my
son or husband.  Or on the field practicing protection work.  Or  if someone
is physically hurting someone in my family including myself or those around us.

Most sound GSD can tell who is going to hurt their pack via means of
pheramones from the perpetrator etc... i just really feel a sound GSD is going
to know
the difference between REAL and FAKE when it comes down to protecting their
human pack.

My dogs are NOT allowed to bite someone because they are stared at or if
someone comes towards them banging their feet loudly on the floor or if someone
comes into my house unannounced, however, they are VERY ALLOWED to bark and
hold
and intimidate the hell outta ANYONE that shows the signs of the intent to
hurt us.  They are allowed to bark at strangers even if i let them in my home,
until i feel its time to have them settle down.  They are allowed to be aloof
and they are allowed to show their loyalty, but they are NOT allowed to bite
ANY ONE just for acting like that judge did (although he sounded like a total
idiot for what he did)   If that judge had grabbed the handler in a threatening
way.... thats pretty close reason for my dog to be told its ok to "pakken"
(Spelling)

What do you guys think

Dawnmarie

For technical or administrative help, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx