[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whelping Question

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:22:30 -0500

At 08:32 AM 7/14/2009 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Amy:
>My reproduction vet has me count 9 weeks (63 days) from the ovulation
>date....not breeding date.? In the old days, progestering testing was not
>available, and we used the first breeding date.? This is why whelping date
>could be 57 - 63 days from date of first breeding.
>
>Of course, unless you know the ovulation date, you really are at nature's
>mercy as to when the pups will arrive.? Also, pups can arrive a day or two
>prior or after ovulation date, too.
>
>What is her rectal temperature?? You are looking for a drop to 98.???, and
>then a rise back up to almost normal.? The litter will arrive when the
>number is back up, not at a low number.?
>
>FYI - This current litter, my bitch and the stud had their first tie 4
>days before she ovulated.? This explains why her previous litters, no
>progesterone testing done, arrived 4 days after her due?date.
>
>Good luck with the babies.
>
>B Hively

We had a bitch years ago that we tried to breed 3 times after she finished
her Championship.   She did not get pregnant
any of those times.      Although her seasons appeared to be totally
normal, we decided to do the progesterone testing.   I had to drive well
over 100 miles each way & each day after her 7th day.
Anyway, we found that she did not ovulate until day 21 - 22.   She really
was not interested in breeding at that time, but did allow
it.   Anyway, she had 9 healthy puppies.   Her second litter we did not do
the testing but instead bred her on the 20th day
& she had another large, healthy litter.    I really do believe in the
testing if a bitch seems to have any problems.

Sandy
Sandra Kozub
KcK Kennels
http://iweb.tntech.edu/rkozub/kennel.htm