[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whelping Question

  • From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx
  • To: genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:32:59 -0400

Hi Amy:
My reproduction vet has me count 9 weeks (63 days) from the ovulation
date....not breeding date.? In the old days, progestering testing was not
available, and we used the first breeding date.? This is why whelping date
could be 57 - 63 days from date of first breeding.

Of course, unless you know the ovulation date, you really are at nature's mercy
as to when the pups will arrive.? Also, pups can arrive a day or two prior or
after ovulation date, too.

What is her rectal temperature?? You are looking for a drop to 98.???, and then
a rise back up to almost normal.? The litter will arrive when the number is
back up, not at a low number.?

FYI - This current litter, my bitch and the stud had their first tie 4 days
before she ovulated.? This explains why her previous litters, no progesterone
testing done, arrived 4 days after her due?date.

Good luck with the babies.

B Hively