[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whelping Problem? Update/Thermometers

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 14:37:54 EDT

Glad your girl and her babies are doing well, Zoa.  Since sperm is  good
for about 7 days after the breeding, you don't really know the exact day
the eggs were fertilized.  You're safe waiting a little longer if she  isn't
having contractions.

My experience with the digital thermometers I've bought is that they  aren't
very accurate.  I've tried several, including the one that you put in  your
ear <G>, and decided their a quick easy way to check your temp,  but
then I use the old fashioned type to get the "real" temperature if the
digital one looks like there is a problem.  The accurate ones the vets  and
doctors use are usually much more expensive.

You might try doing both next time you check your girl - maybe the
digital one is reading a couple of degrees off.

Good luck - let us know when the babies arrive!

Janice

In a message dated 5/2/2007 8:13:44 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I like  the digital thermometers better because you only have to stick the
tip  in.  This makes it easier for one person to do without a second person to
hold the bitch.  They have a low battery indicator, and the battery is
supposed to last for three years.  My vet uses one as  well.

Zoa
________________________________
From:  "Rockenstein, Zoa L. " <zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:  <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ]  Whelping Problem? Update
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:46:36  -0500
>I wrote a few days ago about my bitch Venus' temp  being at 98 for 3 days
with no puppies. This became 5 days at 98 with no  puppies. I want to thank
everyone who responded. Still no puppies, but I  learned a lot, both from
horror
stories of dead puppies/c-sections and from  those who never take temps and
just let nature take its course. I heard about  bitches delivering on the
68-70th
days with no problems. Advice ranged from  take her in for a c-section
immediately to have a drink and relax. I decided  that I needed to know if the
puppies were alive. A follow-up ultrasound  yesterday confirmed that all five
had
strong heartbeats. When the vet took her  temp, it was normal. He wondered if
there was something wrong with my  thermometer, a new digital one. I wondered
if the temp had spiked back up. It  was 99 this morning. We are on the 63rd
day. She did some scratching in her  bed at 2:30 this morning. She seems like
something is going on. I have to go  to work for a coupl
> e of hours. It wouldn't surprise me  if there were puppies when I get home.
I think everything is okay. The list is  great. I felt like I had a lot of
very knowledgeable and terrific people right  here with me. Thanks Again! I
hope
I get to meet some of you at the Midwest  Futurity. Good luck to everyone
this weekend!

>Now, in the words of the old song:
>
>"Venus, if you will...please send a little girl for me to  thrill..."
>
>Dr. Zoa  Rockenstein
>RiverRock

Janice  Buchanan
Wasatch-Gold German Shepherds
_http://wasatchgold.brinkster.net/_ (http://wasatchgold.brinkster.net/)

"If  our dogs were smarter, they could tell us what they were
thinking. If we  were smarter, they wouldn't need to."