[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whelping - More URGENT questions

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: MontanosaGSD@xxxxxxx, rockannand@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 07:53:09 EST

In a message dated 2/25/2006 3:41:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
MontanosaGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
Thanks  everyone for your help.  I went ahead and rushed her to   emergency.
They gave her a shot, but unfortunately, the little   girl was breach and
didn't
make it.  At least the others are fat  and  sassy and Mom is doing great. No
C-section which makes me  happy.

Thanks again.

Kim

Kim, maybe others could share their experiences, but I find that half or so
of our GSD puppies are born breech.  (I had one recently, not breech, but  who
presented out of the sack, belly up, had her head bent to the side and
wanted to come out one shoulder first.  Now that was a weird one, and yes,
thank
God, she's fine.)

Breech puppies in the sack don't cause mom a problem. If you aren't sure
how, speak with someone about how to help with the breech puppies that are out
of the sack.  I find a bar towel works best (the thin ones used on fine
glassware, no lint, not at all slippery even when they are soaked w/  fluids
and
they aren't bulky), you reach up and gently hold on to both feet  w/ the towel
through a contraction and gently ease the puppy towards the mom's  belly (not
out or straight down).  As you ease the puppy out, you'll be  able to move the
towel further up toward the hips/midsection and not be tugging  on their legs.
When you have both feet, though, you can't let go or after the  contraction
the puppy could go up inside mom and be out of reach until the  next
contraction, and if that happens you just might not have enough time  to get
the puppy
out alive. You need both legs to do this though, and  unfortunately, what you
will sometimes see w/ breech puppies (out of the  sack) is they may get a leg
caught over top of the bitch's pelvic bone, present  with one back leg only,
with the other leg trapping the umbilical cord against  the pelvic bone and if
you don't get them out of there fast (NOT always  possible), they
suffocate....so in a situation where you can only see/ feel one  back foot,
you'll have to
try with your index finger and loop the other back leg  back over the pelvic
bone before you can proceed.  If you are lucky enough  to do that, don't let go!

I asked the list a while back how others used pit and or calcium.
Experiences varied widely.  I will tell you this, though.  I won't  whelp a
litter
without pit on hand.  The next time you whelp a litter, have  some on hand from
your vet.  It's a big guessing game when and how much,  and like I said,
individual experiences vary widely (prayer is a must too, that  you are making
the
right call!), but talk to your vet for instruction.  At  a minimum, when you
think they are finished, 1cc will clean out any placentas  that weren't passed
and this way you aren't running to the vet w/ a new mom and  babies and/or
risking infection from something left inside mom.

Enjoy your babies!

Kathy