[ SHOWGSD-L ] Whelping Box Material Suggestions?

  • From: "Gail BAUMAN" <gailbauman1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ShowGSDs" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 12:08:05 -0500

Well, I believe we are PREGGERS!!  Either that, or my gal has swallowed a very
large canteloup....LOL!!  That being said, I would like suggestions as to how
people set up their whelping boxes and/or what types of materials they used on
the bottom - last time I lined the box with a piece of egg-crate foam cut to
fit, then put a waterproof crib liner over that, and then used some sheets of
fleece fabric tucked under the foam kind of like making a bed - I could just
switch out the liners and fleece and throw in the wash when they got soiled,
and replace the foam when it got messy - it usually didn't since I used the
waterproof liner on top of it.  I used 4 x 4 bookshelves corner-braced together
to make the sides of the box and then a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood covered with
vinyl press-on tiles for the base, which was attached to the floor and sides
with  "L" brackets.  I still have this set-up, but I would love to hear what
folks thought was the easiest way they've done the whelping box (other than the
kiddie pool, which I would prefer not to do) - thanks in advance for
suggestions!!