[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What's your dog's life like?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:58:47 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2008 1:20:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Elsyd1@xxxxxxx writes:
Preaching to the choir is rarely appreciated. Many "Kennel dogs"  have
decent, albeit not perfect lives. Many on this list have dogs  in kennels,
being
completely aware that this is not an ideal life.  Perhaps we should give the
whole thing up, give up showing, etc,  because, after all, how many dogs can
one
fit in a house?  Syd

I can't do it.

I max out around 6-7-8 the number I can care for to my standards, (time,
training, grooming, routine and unanticipated vet care), AND have around me in
the house...ok, it's a big house, lol.  And yes, except for when a gal is  in
season or visiting to be bred, they ARE all simultaneously under foot.
(LITERALLY!  You could break you neck around here if not careful for the  dogs
and
dog toys spread over the living areas!) That's the way I like them  raised and
that's the way I choose to live with them.  Yes, it means  not keeping
everything and yes, I know I've passed on some good ones and skipped  seasons
and yes
it means showing one or maybe two one year and waiting on a  youngster the
next.  The Oreck and now scooba get quite the work out! So be  it.  It's my
choice, I realize, not to be over-dogged, and I TRY not to be  judgmental,
(admittedly, I don't always succeed!), but knowing what it is to  experience
dogs
raised and lived with as part of a family, experiencing the  partnership with a
dog that is trained to DO something, seeing the light come on  in their eyes
when they have a job to do, knowing how much time it takes to  groom, check
nails, teeth, ears on a regular basis, I hate to think of so much  being wasted
when dogs live all or most of their lives in kennels.
Barbara's post hit a nerve:(  The whole topic...It saddens me.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds