[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What's right with our judges

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "TISHW@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:07:43 -0400

I remember being at an All Breed Show in Virginia years ago where the judge
 put up the worst dog entered for Winners Dog.  This judge was so old and
frail I thought he would be blown away if a stiff breeze came along.
Fortunately he managed to put the BIS Show CH. up for BOB.

Tish

In a message dated 9/19/2014 11:33:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
What's  Right with our Judges

It was many years ago that we packed up our  dogs
and went to a little all-breed show in Southern
Oregon.  Surprisingly, there were more dogs entered
than we expected, so we were  prepared to have a
good time. We did the second day. The first day
was  one of those events you remember for a
lifetime.

I do not remember  the class, possibly it was 9-12
Dogs, but we went into the ring, about 6 of  us,
and lined up, waiting expectantly. The old judge
tottered into the  ring, looked confused, then
mumbled something and turned his back on us.  Since
he was looking the other way, I suspect that his
mumble was  telling us to go around the ring. The
lady at the front of the line asked  the rest of us
what he said and we all seemed to decide that we
were to  go around. So off we went. About half way
through our first lap he shouted,  "What in the
hell are you doing?" We all stopped and looked at
him..  Then he did something none of us expected.
He pointed to the first dog in  the line and said,
"Best of breed, winner's dog, and best of
winners,"  then he walked out of the ring and left
the building.

By this time  the ring steward was confused and
angry and left also saying she was going  to find
the AMC Rep. Not sure how it all worked out, but
it was, well,  different. I was not real happy at
the time, but now I laugh about it and  love to
tell the story.

Judges are human beings. That's the problem.  But
they are also human beings who have met some
qualifications, taken  some tests and been
certified to judge dogs. Some are better than
other  and have a better eye for certain things. As
in all hierarchies in our  world, some few are
incompetent, and some few are at the top of  the
heap. By and large, most judges are honest, try to
do their very  best and give us their opinion of
the dogs they see in that show. That's  about all
we can ask for.

The other factor in this game is in our  knowing
what a give judge likes and what we should bring
to them. We  play a large role in the selection of
the judge.

As to politics,  every group has politics. Politics
it the rules and manner of how any group  manages
its relationships and how it functions. It is
neither good nor  bad - it just is. What we usually
call politics is when something goes  wrong and the
judge, whether actually or by perception, picks
the dog of  a friend or a person who has presumably
given them a favor before. But all  that is
subjective and is far greater in the mind of the
conspiracy  theorist than it is real. For the most
part, most of our judges try their  very best to do
what is right and best for the breed.

Particularly  in the specialty ring, our judges are
primarily breeder judges. That  provides an arena
for charges of favoritism, in that we all know  one
another, but also gives us judges who know the
breed and usually  give us a better judging
performance than those who are not. How can  we
improve on a system with those given
relationships? I have no idea.  But most of us are
able to accept those givens and to compete with
the  best of hopes and desires, trusting that the
judge will give us a fair  evaluation.

We have a great group of judges and depending on
what  dogs I have to show at the time, there is
always someone that I think I  should go to with my
dog. That's a pretty good thing for a sport  that
does not pay our judges what NFL referees are
paid.

Here's  to our judges! The travel long miles, set
in noisy airports, ride in  airplanes that fit 250
people into the space that should take 50,  then
stand in the hot sun for hours looking at our
dogs. These are  dedicated people who deserve our
respect rather than our criticism.   Tell them
thanks and smile at them once in a while. We have
some really  great judges who sacrifice a lot of
time and energy to do for us what we  need them to
do.

---
This email is free from viruses and  malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is  active.

POST  is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

http://showgsd.org/mail.html