[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What you see is some times not what you get.

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:28:19 EST

In a message dated 12/22/2004 8:18:02 PM Central Standard Time,
Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx writes:
as their influence  infuses those  deadly
genes into generations to come..
One must, in  my personal opinion, have the Most  Serious and Deepest Concern
for the German Shepherd Breed

Every "good" breeder has a deep concern for the problems you mentioned.
Human nature being as it is, one cannot deny that some folks care more about
winning a dog show than they do about the dog itself, but I have seen, and
choose
to believe, that this uncaring attitude is not the norm.

I disagree with your choice of the word "infuses."  If problems exist, the
sire or dam are not infusing them into the breed.  They are merely passing them
on.  As a matter of fact, with the possible exception of Toxic Gut Syndrome,
virtually all of the problems usually mentioned are not at all exclusive to the
German Shepherd Dog.  While I know that we are not responsible for other
breeds, it is important to consider that the problems we are handed are common
breeds that are one hundred to thousands of years removed from our dogs.  If
there was infusion from a sire or dam, it happened a long long time ago.

It has always been the job of good breeders to control problems through
thoughtful breeding decisions.  In the hands of a "good" breeder, all good
traits
will be preserved, and all bad traits will be lessened.  That is not an
endorsement for blindly using dogs that you know produce problems.  It is
merely a
pointer toward the wisdom of weighing good traits against bad when comparing a
potential sire or dam for a breeding.

Tom Langlitz