[ SHOWGSD-L ] What you see is not what you get.

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:51:25 EST

In a message dated 12/21/04 10:18:44 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Peggygsd@xxxxxxx writes:
We need discussion of the German dogs interacting
with our American  lines.  This could be a learning experience.

The problem seems to be you do not get what you see. A dog may be bred on
German lines, and look American style, but he caries the genes for his
pedigree.  I remember Dave Rinke's dog Rollins. When I judged him, I  thought
he
looked more like the German style, and now he has produced not what  he looked
like, but what was behind him.

We often think if we see a bitch that looks like what we want, she will
produce what we see. That is seldom the case. It is the genes and the dogs
behind
in the pedigree and what we breed that dictates what we produce.

Going to Germany and seeing an American style bitch may not provide you  what
you want in your breeding program. You may have one generation of what you
want, but this should be not for one winner but for the future of our breed,
and  it is the producing abilities that we need to find.

On the other hand, it might just be enough to get one good dog. I know that
has been enough for me for years and years now.

Evan
_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together