[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What would you do? (scenario)

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, 'Showgsd-l' <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Elkins <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 10:08:25 -0700 (PDT)

Barbara wrote:.......but remember the breeder wants a top animal to show
herself).

So that is the question Is she handling herself. If that is the case then the
question becomes who do you think you can present the best.
Terry
From: Tom Elkins <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What would you do? (scenario)
To: fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, "'Showgsd-l'"
<Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 10:02 AM

When it comes to making a star, part of the formula is having a very good
jockey. You don¢t see any fat tubs of goo male owners or rich, blue haired old
ladies riding horses in the Kentucky Derby. A very good jockey is part of the
deal.       Same with GSDs.       Remember, we¢re talking STARS, not just dogs
that finish.

tom elkins
Firethorn Temple
http://www.firethorntemple.com

From: Tom Elkins <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What would you do? (scenario)
To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx , "'Showgsd-l'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 8:15 AMBarbara  --  Another big part of this
for me has to do with how we defineterms. In my definition, there are lots of
"really good ones" as youdefinethe bitch. By my definition, there never were,
are not now, and never willbe very many stars (as you define the male) at any
given time. Breeding astar is a GSD breeder's equivalent of winning the
lottery. You don'tlet goof that ticket. I hope my karma puts me in that
position during this turn ofthe wheel!  tom elkinsFirethorn
 Templehttp://www.firethorntemple.com -----Original Message-----From:
showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Barbara GalassoSent: Saturday, August 09, 2008 9:06 AMTo:
'Showgsd-l'Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] What would you do? (scenario)  OK, here's the
set up.  You're a small breeder, maybe only breeding a litter or two every
other year.  You breed your beautiful champion bitch to one of the top
producing males in the country.  You can't wait for the litter to be born. You
plan on keeping your best bitch.   After selling your pets, you are left with
two puppies; a bitch and a male.  You decide to hold onto them until they're
four months.  The bitch is a really good one, but the male is without question
a "star!"  Now youcan only keep one as your husband has threatened you with
divorce.  And, no keeping them both until they're six months old, is not an
option as the husband grows more irritable each day.
 (I know what some of you are thinking right about now......get rid of the
husband.  And no, that's not an option either).  Now you know that you can
co-own either one of these puppies with someone, BUT you've been looking for
something great to show yourself for a long time.  So here's the questions:
Knowing that the competition in bitches is usually the toughest, do you hold
onto the good bitch?  The male is a "stand out" in every way.  You didn't want
to hold onto a male, but this puppy is definitely making you have second
thoughts.  Do you sell the bitch on a co-own and keep the boy because he's the
better of the two?  (You may be thinking right about now, how about putting the
boy on a co-own.......but remember the breeder wants a top animal to show
herself).  If you decide on the male, let me ask you this.  How do you feel
about keeping a beautiful male that finishes his championship and then you have
to compete for stud services with
 his well-known top producing sire?  Alright so there you have it.  What would
you do?  Best,
Barbara============================================================================POST
 is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the originalauthor
and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of anykind are
permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND ofthe Showgsd-l
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.   ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE
FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANYMANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON
SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESSPERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST
MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLYFORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS
PROHIBITION WILL BEPROSECUTED.   For assistance, please contact the List
Management at
 admin@xxxxxxxxxxx .  VISIT OUR WEBSITE -