[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What would you do? (scenario)

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx, fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:10:57 -0400

That brings up another intersting aspect.? I have just made a decision similar
to what Barbara described.? Ok, not the husband.? Got rid rid of him years ago,
LOL!?
However, I had to decide which of 3 pups to keep.? My litter was very nice and
included sables, YIKES!!!? Ok, sable lovers, don't yell at me yet.

I am not a sable person.? However, I do appreciate a GOOD dog, of any color,
when I see him/her.? When I bred to this sable dog, I new he would give me what
I wanted in my line and I knew I would get sables.? I was right.? Then, I had
to make a decision on a sable bitch, a B/T bitch or a B/T male.? All 3 are nice
pups but the sable bitch is awesome.? I know the competition in bitches is high
and a sable?? But, she is everything I wanted from this breeding.? So, I am
keeping her.

Like Barbara, I can only keep one pup.? Unlike Barbara, I can grow the other
two out for a couple months and hopefully find good co-owners.? Make sure
teeth, ears and testicles are there.? Heck, I would even give them to a Newbie
or Junior on a co-ownership as the temperament and quality is that good.

I guess my opinion would be to keep the BEST pup and if you can, co-own the
bitch with a pup back in the future, that would be the best.? If the Mom is
your "foundation" bitch and you plan to breed her again, then you have a great
way to either keep one of her future pups or a pup from the pup's future
litter.?

It all depends on your personal situation.? JMHO

Laura

From: Tom Elkins <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
To: fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, "'Showgsd-l'"
<Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 10:02 AM

When it comes to making a star, part of the formula is having a very good
jockey. You don?t see any fat tubs of goo male owners or rich, blue haired
old ladies riding horses in the Kentucky Derby. A very good jockey is part
of the deal.       Same with GSDs.       Remember, we?re talking STARS, not
just dogs that finish.

  _____

Date: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 8:15 AM

Barbara  --  Another big part of this for me has to do with how we define
terms. In my definition, there are lots of "really good ones" as you
define
the bitch. By my definition, there never were, are not now, and never will
be very many stars (as you define the male) at any given time. Breeding a
star is a GSD breeder's equivalent of winning the lottery. You don't
let go
of that ticket. I hope my karma puts me in that position during this turn of
the wheel!