[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What we need

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 16:20:23 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of ELG440@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:28 AM
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] What we need

This discussion is the best part of the List. Kathleen and I have different
 opinions of what a judge is to do, (I believe the judge is to compare the
entries to the standard, and select the one that comes closest, and she
thinks  the judge has in addition an obligation to the breeders to select
what
will  improve the breed, and show the breeders what to use in a breeding
program).  Interestingly enough, the results should be the same.

Just to clarify -- all my emails really have been saying is this -- if
judges are supposed to be experts in the breed then they should know which
procedure will correctly identify the animals which are closest to the
standard -- and not evaluating the dogs at a slow to moderate speed on a
loose lead is NOT the correct procedure for this breed and therefore they
aren't judging to the standard.

The other section, you do have it partly right, I think judges should have
the obligation to the BREED to select animals which will improve the breed
or at least not harm the breed.  Like the great Ernie Loeb said when he was
finished judging the National in 1987, (this is a paraphrase), "I felt this
dog would be the one who would do the least harm to the breed".

But then, I get the impression that some people think I expect too much from
judges.  So be it.

Other than that, I think you're right -- the debate and discussion on the
list in the past few days is important, vital and makes the list environment
what it was intended to be.

Regards,

Kathaleen