[ SHOWGSD-L ] What we need

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:27:31 EST

In a message dated 11/3/09 7:19:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
culzeans1@xxxxxxx writes:

Kathaleen is right, and I agree we have beat this to the ground and I  will
never agree to judges who either don't know or don't care about the breed
standard and I do expect a judge to be held to that. If you don't well it is
 your loss and you will eventually find yourself in the ring  alone.

This discussion is the best part of the List. Kathleen and I have different
 opinions of what a judge is to do, (I believe the judge is to compare the
entries to the standard, and select the one that comes closest, and she
thinks  the judge has in addition an obligation to the breeders to select what
will  improve the breed, and show the breeders what to use in a breeding
program).  Interestingly enough, the results should be the same.

But, with that discussion, different Listers have now come in with their
opinions and it has sparked a discussion, without hostility or anger. That is
 what this forum was supposed to do.

It would be great to do something like that at the Education Seminar at the
 National. Set up a panel of individuals with strong opinions, who are not
afraid  to say what they believe, and can do so without offending anyone. I
can think of  a panel with Kathleen Strong, Fred Migliore, Ann Schultz, Mike
Cheeks, and a few  others that could be invaluable. There may be others
with as much knowledge, but  those individuals would be people who would speak
their mind and not worry about  who they offended.  They are also
individuals of great knowledge of the  breed.   If everyone on the panel was
concerned
with saying something  offensive to other panel members, it would be of
little value.

We could ask Dave Rinke to moderate it, and listen to what others  think.
Dave would be willing to ask real difficult questions.   The true vaule would
be to have people who would have different  opinions and not be afraid to
say so.  If you only listen to people that  agree with you, there is no
chance to learn.

I know that Jane Kerner, Tammy Howard, Cappy Pottle, Jimmie Moses, and
others like that might have great information to share, but they would also be
too carefull not to hurt anyones feelings.

The discorse between Kathleen and myself is just what is needed for people
to think about this breed.
Those who have responded have injected some great ideas, and certainly
gives me something to think about. I like that in a discussion.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/