[ SHOWGSD-L ] What to do?

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:11:20 -0400

An occurrence at a recent show got me to thinking about this...

Say you own and handle a very nice dog  who needs only majors to finish.
You enter your dog in a particular show.  At the close of entries, the
counts indicate a major in dogs.

You take your dog to the show.  Shortly before ring time, a handler pulls a
dog and breaks the major.  You aren't aware of this and take your dog into
the ring.  Your dog takes WD and two points.

Nobody is happy about this.  People are angry at you because the points were
"wasted" on a dog needing only majors.   You are angry because you would
have pulled your dog had you known the major was broken.  (You didn't
realize the major was broken until you were already in the ring with your
dog.)  You are also peeved at that other handler for pulling his dog and
breaking the major in the first place.

Here's my questions...  (I'm a newbie to showing, so please bear with my
ignorance.  <grin>)

Does the scenario, described above, happen very often?

Are all exhibitors/handlers made aware of the actual count *before* anyone
steps into the ring?

If all dogs are in the ring and accounted for by the ring steward, but it
looks like the major will not hold, is it okay to pull your dog at that
point?  (I'm talking about before the judge enters the ring.)

If I entered a show with a dog needing only majors and the major did not
hold, I would want to pull my dog ASAP.  I would hate for my dog to take
points it didn't need.  That's why I'm asking these questions.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam