[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What to call serious and responsible breeders?

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 05:42:31 -0800 (PST)

What to call serious and responsible breeders?

  Too bad we can't just call ourselves a GSDCA member :o(

  Cindy
GSD0110@xxxxxxx wrote:
  What is wrong with "breeder"? It has only become a dirty word because that
is what these wholesalers call themselves in their attempt to achieve
respectability for a corrupt way of living. It is almost like a "crack" dealer
calling himself a pharmacist.... no matter what he says he is still a crackhead.

These wholesalers are not breeders.... they have no clue nor do they care
about breeding to a standard to improve a breed. Why is it that these people
are the ones who get to take the name of respectable people? And the people
who really care about and love their dogs and their breeds are looking for a
new name so as not to be associated with abuse and cruelty. I say we stand up
and PROUDLY proclaim that we are "BREEDERS" and that we exclaim from the
rooftops that the wholesalers are NOT breeders....

Oh, and for an answer to Carmen's question as to who is and who is not a
wholesaler.... a wholesaler is ANYONE who sells whole litters of puppies to a
"distributor" .... formerly called a puppy broker.... for profit. Also the guy
(the broker) who buys the puppies and sells them all (the ones that don't
die) to pet stores to make money is a wholesaler.

True breeders realize that dogs are a BLACKHOLE for money.... but we love
them so much we don't care. Many of us spend a SIGNIFICANT portion of our
income just to feed, house, provide veterinary care, and love to our dogs. Most
of us could live much more comfortable lives on the money we spend on our
dogs. This is not to mention the time we spend in the freezing cold... and
scorching heat....cleaning, feeding watering and playing with our dogs. Often
when I am working in the hot Summer heat my employees mention that my dogs are
home in the airconditioning....I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have worked REALLY hard to think of myself as a dog "breeder"... and I am
extremely proud to be one. And I am proud to call many of you, breeders, my
friends; because, you are amazing people (you too Paula)...

Gary Lewis
Garter German Shepherd Dogs
_Page 1_ (http://gartergermanshepherddogs.com/)

Cindy