[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What is your favorite show?

  • From: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>, "SHOWGSD-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:39:49 -0600

Good topic, Kathy...

I think there are different experiences in the all breed shows than the
specialty shows.  The AB shows are fun to look at other breeds and talk with
folks in the breed to see how many can tell you what the breed standard is
for their breed and how they're judged.  There is an excitement and sense of
purpose there with people trying to time it right to be at the correct ring
at the correct time.  Our Waukesha (Wisconsin) shows are the 5th largest
breed cluster in the country.  As a result, there are a lot of vendors and
that's a doggie "stuff" shopping experience that only is missing TooChic
sweatshirts to be perfect!

The specialty shows are completely different.  It's just our beautiful breed
and so many people you know.  Even if you haven't seen each other for weeks
or months, the conversations (usually about dogs) start up right where they
left off.

We are fortunate at the GSDC-Wisconsin to have our own show grounds (thanks
Gene Tenges).  We not only offer water (and other beverages) but most folks
bring home-cooked food for lunches that are so good that some folks come
just for the food!

I think you're right.  The most important thing is hospitality.  The shows
where the clubs provide food always seem to have happier people because then
people take a few minutes to sit or stand around and chat.  I especially
like the ones where the show is held on the motel grounds.  The maturity in
Kansas City in 1998 still sticks in my mind because everything was there
along with great show grounds and good judges and a huge entry.   Ditto the
one in Ohio a couple of years ago and the one in Minnesota not too long ago.

We are so blessed to be in this wonderful country with the freedom that
allows us to compete wherever we wish.

Pam

ps....  I DO love the National best!