[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What is typey?

  • From: "EDEN HALL" <gsdhallmark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx, Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:42:18 -0800

I am confused, I didn't know 'type' had so many definitions, and that may be
why there is such a huge variance in our breed and why we have to 'pick our
judges' between judges that will pick hock walkers or moderate, sound dogs.

This dialog all sounds so subjective.  I thought 'type' was the dog that
came the closest to the 'standard' in mind and body.  Breeding and
exhibiting dogs to what this judge or that judge prefers is not breeding to
the standard but to opinions, which by the way are all over the board.

I guess I thought 'type' was a noble, intelligent, confident, happy dog that
personified the standard in movement and physicality.  I suppose I am still
naive, but some of the over-angulated, hock walking, pin-head dogs that win
don't have 'type' to me, although, by some of these definitions have 'type'
to some.

Naive I'll stay if having a solid, intelligent, healthy, moderate dog (and
yes, moderate dogs CAN MOVE) that can win and work and protect is 'type' to
me.

Edie Hall

Hallmark German Shepherds - updated 1/21/07
Top American And German Lines
http:/www.gsdhallmark.homestead.com/index.html