[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What is typey?

  • From: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx
  • To: Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:21:02 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2007 3:10:05 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
"typey"  due to them not having a black saddle!  Excuse me, but since when
did  type have ANYTHING to do with color?  Did I misread that or am I just
plain nuts?  (Don't answer that!)  LOL!
Penny in  NY

No Penny, not nuts.  But in a sense a part of breed type is color,  rich
pigments preferred.  Not just talking about black, because you can  have a bi
color with poor pigment.  We have all seen them the "white" legs,  same for a
dark
b/t...if the lighter areas are washed out , I wouldn't consider  the dog to
have good pigment.

Some judges (esp some AB judges) cannot see a dark dog.  Not because  they
are lessor dogs, but because when they think GSDs...they think
saddleback..period.  Look at a large percentage of the general public,  they
many times, will
ask "What kind of dog is that?" of is that a  GSD?   when they see a dark b/t
or a bi color, or even a solid  black.  It just doesn't compute to them.

Type is what makes a GSD a GSD in look...well set ears, dark eyes, rich
pigment, strong secondary sex characteristics...etc.   It is what  makes a
given
breed unique and distinguishable.  Some of the traits of  "type" may be open to
opinion or preference.  Personally I love a dark dog  (Nitro, Levi , Oakley,
Callie) and some prefer the saddle backs.  That is  preference. What is not
open to interpretation is maleness, or  femininity.  You shouldn't have to look
underneath to determine a dogs  sex.
      But good breed type in any dog is just that,  obvious, glorious, and
makes the observer go "Now THAT's a beautiful....(fill in  the blank).
Sometimes as with great GSDs breed type also (imho) a  character, a way of
being, a
look, a demeanor, a way of carrying him or  herself.
    Breed type is something that is often sacraficed in  the name of the
Almighty Side Gait, along with temperament, and physical  soundness....Breed
type
is what you remember as a kid, that attracted you  to a given breed.  It is
also what the public wants, and holds dear in our  breed, along with
trainability and loyalty.     It is  something that far too often is lacking in
the ring.
 But boy when  a dog has it.....it is a wonderful thing to see.

Kathy Tank

_Victory German  Shepherds_ (http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com/index.htm)
 ~ WEBSITE UPDATED: DEC 14,  2006
Home of CH. ELVASTON'S NATIONS CUP, TC, OFA H/E DNA'D  "NITRO"
26 BISS/ BESTS OF BREED TO  DATE 2006 PACIFIC COAST VICTOR