[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What is the recipe for long term success?

  • From: Robert Neiman <bnbgsds2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 08:13:57 -0700 (PDT)

The problem with our temperment test is you can train a dog pass it. Just
attend a couple of tests to see how it's done and if you have a weak tempered
one do some training.

Bob Neiman / Walled Lake, Mich.
Owner Barkalot's Felonious Assault AKA Brat and the other half of B'N'B
Breeder/owner of UKC GR Ch.B'N'B-Barkalot's Cherish RN
Co-owner of UKC ChSandyCreek-B'N'B-WC's Christmas Star AKA Echo
Co-owner of Ketlyn's Black Widow

--- On Wed, 7/7/10, Lindenhill German Shepherds <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Lindenhill German Shepherds <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] What is the recipe for long term success?
To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, July 7, 2010, 8:53 PM

We've been talking a lot lately about the lower entry numbers and overall
demise of conformation, which results in fewer sales for show and pet animals
for breeders. We can all come up with reasons why this is the case, and some of
those are debatable and perhaps controversial(nawwww - meee).
The one thing I've noticed is an upswing in puppy/sales calls that inquire
about whether or not our puppies are from euro lines or not, and an increasing
dis-interest in the am. lines, even tho we do a great job explaining that the
choice of the consumer is really the "breeder" and not the puppy and that a
good dog is a good dog regardless of origin. The key reason, right or wrong,
appears to be temperament. Whether or not we've earned that reputation does not
matter, that is the marketing aligned against us.

Here are a couple of thoughts bouncing around that I would like to share and
get some feedback and perhaps develop a more comprehensive proposal to the PC.

Time to accelerate:

I think the AOE is a good start but requires more depth or meat.

    � Time to make more advanced working degrees(CDX, UDX, etc..) the
minimum standard and get up to par with the Europeans.
    � And it's high time to add the champions version of this as well(COE
or what ever)
    � Time to consider awarding these degrees to dogs owned by non-members
as well(its the dogs stupid) which may assist in driving membership in the club
that is supposed to be managing the breed in this country.

Our TC needs to be stronger in my opinion

    � Perhaps three evaluations or three evaluators(yes more local
evaluators)
    � Stiffer criteria or publish the scores.
    � I've spent enough time as have many of you as the weird stranger(yah
I know if the shoe fits) to know that some of the dogs passed are dogs I
wouldn't own let alone breed to. We have to get serious about this.

Time to consider working degree, and temperament requirements for the select
dogs.(perhaps selects are even eliminated in favor of AOE1, AOE2, etc....)

Ok, now this is really out there.......

Create a new regional and national show(non-akc) that incorporates many working
dog components with conformation in the same ring or during the same
competition for evaluation - stressing owner handled if possible. Maybe this is
where our futurities(or a version thereof) need to go......

OK then let it fly

regards,

is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the original author
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.