[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What is the recipe for long term success?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 08:47:00 EDT

Mike, when I have a companion puppy call it's usually a referral; from a
vet, from someone I know at the AB's, or performance stuff or from someone
who  has a friend with one of the dogs and if not a referral, then someone
looking at  the web sites who has done a search to find area breeders.

I really don't get the German/American question/objection, although I do
have a 3/4 German boy here and if they want to go that route, I'm happy to go
 there.

But here's an observation...the referrals are calling because they want one
 of mine.  That's easy.

People surfing the web don't give a darn for all of the titles and show
pics with the dogs standing "funny".  They don't know/care what a dual  titled
CH is or what a TC is.  They can be looking right at the hip
certifications on the web site and ask about hips, not knowing what all the
numbers
mean. I have photo gallery pages on the web site.  They can SEE  temperament.
They can SEE people happy with their pets.  They can see  big dogs playing
with little dogs. Smiling people. They can see old dogs w/ gray  muzzles.
HEALTHY old dogs. You can see my JR on the lawn w/ a family  he's just met,
Justin with my nephew and a lot of school children, Sophia  hugging a Justin
daughter so hard the puppies eyes are almost bulging  <G>.  That's what a
companion puppy buyer wants to see. In fact I  have a bunch of photos that need
to be added.  And you know...the companion  folks LOVE going to the web site
and seeing their photos posted and keeping an  eye on their dog's siblings.

Just a thought...tweak the web sites.  Less dogs standing  "funny".

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 7/7/2010 8:54:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

We've  been talking a lot lately about the lower entry numbers and overall
demise of  conformation, which results in fewer sales for show and pet
animals for  breeders. We can all come up with reasons why this is the case,
and
some of  those are debatable and perhaps controversial(nawwww - meee).
The one  thing I've noticed is an upswing in puppy/sales calls that inquire
about  whether or not our puppies are from euro lines or not, and an
increasing  dis-interest in the am. lines, even tho we do a great job
explaining
that the  choice of the consumer is really the "breeder" and not the puppy
and that a  good dog is a good dog regardless of origin. The key reason, right
or wrong,  appears to be temperament. Whether or not we've earned that
reputation does  not matter, that is the marketing aligned against us.

Here are a  couple of thoughts bouncing around that I would like to share
and get some  feedback and perhaps develop a more comprehensive proposal to
the PC.

Time to accelerate:

I think the AOE is a good start but  requires more depth or meat.

â?¢ Time to make more  advanced working degrees(CDX, UDX, etc..) the minimum
standard and get up to  par with the Europeans.
â?¢ And it's high time to add the  champions version of this as well(COE or
what ever)
â?¢ Time  to consider awarding these degrees to dogs owned by non-members as
well(its  the dogs stupid) which may assist in driving membership in the
club that is  supposed to be managing the breed in this country.

Our TC needs to be  stronger in my opinion

â?¢ Perhaps three evaluations  or three evaluators(yes more local evaluators)
â?¢ Stiffer  criteria or publish the scores.
â?¢ I've spent enough time as  have many of you as the weird stranger(yah I
know if the shoe fits) to know  that some of the dogs passed are dogs I
wouldn't own let alone breed to. We  have to get serious about this.

Time to consider working degree, and  temperament requirements for the
select dogs.(perhaps selects are even  eliminated in favor of AOE1, AOE2,
etc....)

Ok, now this is really out  there.......

Create a new regional and national show(non-akc) that  incorporates many
working dog components with conformation in the same ring or  during the same
competition for evaluation - stressing owner handled if  possible. Maybe
this is where our futurities(or a version thereof) need to  go......

OK then let it fly

regards,

 is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW.  VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PR
OSECUTED.

For assistance,  please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org