[ SHOWGSD-L ] What does Hunte have to gain?

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:39:43 -0500

Peggy wrote:

>  I've been trying to figure out what Hunte had to gain by being a
> member of the GSDCA.  Unless he intends to start breeding Shepherds,
> he really doesn't stand to gain a thing, or have I missed something?

What does Hunte have to gain by being a member of the GSDCA?

Just guessing - could it be credibility with the GSD fancy?
Especially the breeders of American show lines.  Say Hunte wants to
buy another show GSD, or a brood bitch, or a promising show prospect
and his current show dog "broker" can't find him what he's looking
for, so he contacts successful breeders in search of his new champ.
Whenever I've inquired about a prospect, one of the first thing that
the breeder asks is, "Are you a member of the GSDCA?"

After reading this, I know that a majority of the people on this list,
myself included, will say, "There's no way that I would ever sell a
dog to a puppy broker - especially to the King of puppy brokers."
That's understandable, but there are many reputable breeders who are
not on this list and may not even know who Andrew Hunte is - much less
what he does for a living.  I've never met Mr. Hunte, but he's
obviously a charismatic and persuasive man.  (These types always are.)
I can imagine that after Mr. Hunte works his "magic" on an
unsuspecting breeder, they'll be more than willing to sell him a good
dog.  Heck, they might even give him a good one.

One other thing...  After Hunte collects or breeds a few champs here
and there, Petland and other distributors of Hunte puppies, could use
the fact that Hunte is the breeder and owner of champion dogs to their
advantage.  I can visualize John Q Public and his family stopping by
Petland to buy some bird seed and drifting over to the puppy section
where they spot this adorable little puffball.  As they stand there
admiring the cute little pup, a Petland employee asks them if they'd
like to take the puppy into the playroom to get to know him better.
The father hesitates then says, "I don't know...  I've been told to
never buy a puppy from a pet shop."  Then the Petland employee tells
him that Petland buys their puppies from a breeder and owner of many
champion dogs.  Suddenly John Q and his family are very impressed and
think,  "Wow champions!  These must be great puppies!"  They fork
over $2,000 for a mutt and walk out the door grinning from ear-to-ear.
Just like the guy who made the sell is doing behind their backs.   I
may be "out there," but it's just a thought...

Paulette McGuirt