[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What do you think about this one?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: misshereford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:14:22 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2007 9:11:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
misshereford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Quite  frankly I have never heard of a 5 1/2 month old pup being diagnosed
with HD  in so many areas before and especially a dog that isn't exhibiting
any  problems. Has anyone else?

Sure, that's why we prelim.  Dogs don't always exhibit  discomfort at an
early age w/ CHD, if they did we wouldn't need to spend all the  money we do on
x-rays.

You ask "As the breeder what simply amazes me is the clients over-reaction  -
first it
was 5 1/2 month old puppy - then the right hip subluxating when he  was
rolled over during surgery, then it was the left hip had a flat  femoral
head, then it was 100% sure he would be in the future dysplastic...  which is
it?"

Actually, it may or may not be all of it.  The first vet noticed an  issue w/
the right hip, (a hip isn't supposed to come out of the socket  when the dog
is being rolled over after all), the vet took x-rays,  (thank heavens, some
don't, so at least somebody has a few brain cells  connected), after looking at
the x-rays the left hip is now also a cause for  concern and the vet sent the
x-rays off to another vet for evaluation.

As for "over-reaction" from the owners, hey, they love their dog.  I'd  send
the x-rays in to the OFA and see what you have, take new pictures if  you must
or if you dispute the quality of the positioning, but I wouldn't be too  hard
on the owners re their concern.  They have three vets now telling them  they
very well may have issues.  They just might.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds