[ SHOWGSD-L ] What do we hope for?? (Was Robert Scholes)

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:35:02 -0700

I care for, or manage the care of, the "elderly" in our area - we have a
couple of residents who are over 100 years old.. and some that are as young
as 49 but unable to care for themselves. All are afflicted with some disease
process that they will eventually die from. As that time draws near, I spend
a great deal of time with families - I do not pity them, for they do not
need my pity, but I show them compassion and help them find their way
through the maze of decisions, paperwork, emotions, doubts and guilt.
One question that always comes up is "Are we expected to just take away all
hope?"

I tell them that it has been my experience that as we move through life, we
don't give up hope, we simply change what it is we hope for, and at this
point in the "circle of life" (to coin a phrase)what we hope for is peace,
comfort, love, respect and dignity as we move from this life to the next -
and that our goal as nurses is to ensure that their loved one achieves all
that.

At this time, Robert and Donna deserve all that and more.
Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com