[ SHOWGSD-L ] What are we actually breeding for?

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:08:32 -0700

Just recently I was entrusted with a show dog to keep for a little while. I
felt very honored over the faith people had in me to be in charge of such a
valuable dog.
First off, I must say that I do have several GS's, although show dogs they
have always been house dogs and only go into the kennel (only have one) in
case of an urgency.

So, here comes this dog, sees the big yard and takes off racing back and
forth. Well, I guess it needed to let go and have some fun. It became
serious when it had no intention to listen to me and proceeded to take my
yard apart bit by bit starting with the furniture pads, the garden hose, the
plants, sprinkler heads etc. It actually ran circles around me. You may
laugh, but it was not funny after a while.  I finally caught it and put it
in the kennel from which it barked incessantly for the entire time it was
there (several hours).

My point is this: I can have a dog that can perform in the show ring but
also has manners in a family situation, get along with other dogs, come when
called and act decent. Why are we

allowing a dog to be strictly a kennel dog that is only to be taken out and
put on a leash when it's time to go into the show ring just to return to the
kennel again on a leash. No wonder this dog goes nuts when there is too much
freedom. It cannot handle it. But is this really what we want? Isn't there a
little more to a German Shepherd?

I have learned so much from my dogs by interaction and in a home situation.
They give you so much more in return than you give them. I would never want
to have just a kennel dog. What a waste!

JMHO - Lee F.