[ SHOWGSD-L ] What MY GSDCA membership means to me

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 07:27:43 -0400

I joined the parent Club in 1981, shortly after having attended my FIRST
National.  I was on overload after that one--so many gorgeous dogs, such
excitement.  I joined because I felt it would be a PRIVILEGE to be a part of
such a wonderful group of people, who put on a show-of-shows once a year in
different parts of the country.  So many people who share a common love of the
GSD:  wow, it still blows my mind!
So, every time I receive a copy of the Review, every time I enter a dog show
(all-breed or specialty)  I think of the groups of people who MAKE THIS
HAPPEN--and I am thankful.
It's amazing to me that I've gotten certificates, pins and awards from our
parent club all these years--all perks, just for being a member of (IMHO) the
best club in the world.
It's only recently that I have been able to do more than to give our club dues,
an occasional donation, advertising in The Review and of course entry fees.
I'm now writing a column for The Review and I've joined a regional club
(Greater Kansas City).  I'm happy to say that I'll be going to my first
National in over 20 years--I'd say it's about time!
When I joined the GSCDA, I had no expectations, no chip on my shoulder of what
the club could do for ME (it's NOT all about me), I joined to become part of an
organization that's thrived and grown--that does, oh so much more than what I
saw at my first National 25 years ago.
Thank you and kudos to OUR CLUB.
Penny in NY