[ SHOWGSD-L ] What I want in my beloved German Shepherd

  • From: "Karen Weidenbener" <vweiden@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:32:55 -0800

When I'm breeding my shepherd these are some of the things I look for.  No one
item has priority, they are all important.
I look for longevity in the blood lines.  I want to see GSDs that live healthy
for 12-13 years.  When VA Lasso Von Neuen Berg 97 World Sieger came to my home
I was immediately impressed with this 8 year old dog, he looked 4-5 years old.
Temperament and trainability !!  Our Shepherds are working dogs, they must have
good temperament and must be trainable.  You can see it in their eyes.  They
have that look, and it says; what now?, what can I do for you?
Structure and athletic ability:  If we stick to the standard we will have this.
 It is important not only in the breed ring but in herding, obedience, Search
and Rescue, Police work and etc.  If we breed to the standard our beloved
Shepherd can do it all.  They will only be limited by their owner.  They can't
be athletic when they are too long in the back, or stifle or have weak pasterns
and poor feet.
I avoid breeding any shepherd with skin allergies.  Allergies are directly
related to autoimmune problems and poor health.
Last but not least my Shepherd must want to eat!  A German Breeder told a
friend of mine , a long time ago, to avoid the puppy who is a poor eater.  A
good eater and good character seem to go together
Karen Weidenbener