[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whalen&Richard

  • From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:45:33 -0700 (PDT)

Sometimes things happen you feel the need to share. I hope you will indulge me
as i share my feelings for a very special dog, Whalen!!!!!
This morning was not a good morning. I turned on my cell phone at 8:00 am and
saw i had a message from Richard Sottile at 6:30 in the morning. As i listened
to his message i got that empty feeling you get when you don't want to believe
something terrible has happened and you know you haven't got the power to do a
thing about. Ch. Backacher's Whalen v Jericho, a great young dog, a great
ambassador for our breed had tragically died this morning at a very young age.
For those who have seen Whalen, you knew what a striking dog this was, for
those of you  who haven't , one day you will come across one of the most
beautiful dogs on the inside back cover of the Review(i don't which one, it
doesn't matter) and you'll ask who's this? and you'll know it's Whalen!!!

 Whalen finished at less than 2 yrs old, over the past 7 months Whalen had been
shown 7 times at specialities with 6 BOB and 1 BOS.  His quality in the show
ring was undeniable, but to speak of his show record does not do him true
justice.

But Whalen was much more than a show dog.

He was Richard's house dog, his best buddy and a dog that people loved when
they met him. He was the true reason people love our breed.  Whether it was a 3
yr old toddler or an older person in a wheelchair, Whalen was always totally
comfortable where he was and who he was with. He never shuddered, he never
flinched,  he was the ultimate comfortable and secure GSD. To feel his "heavy
head" and broad muzzle on your lap totally relaxed, his black eyes letting you
peer into his good soul, always reminded you what a great GSD should be and how
very fortunate i was to be on the end of his lead as he flew around the ring
for the love of his owner Richard Sottile.

I have in my short time in your sport had the great fortune to show many great
dogs, but i have only had a few touch my soul, Whalen,  i will remember you
always. You were a constant reminder of something to aspire too!!!!!

Richard and Liz, what can i say other than thank you for the pleasure and honor
to be associated with Whalen and the friendship and trust that you placed in my
hands in guiding Whalen's show career.

Jean, Whalen will now be resting with the other Whalen, the one that has been
smiling as he has been watching Whalen over the past two years. Dick will take
great care of him.

Thank you for reading my thoughts. If you see Richard/Liz and Jean, give them a
hug, they need one.

Good Night!!!!

Bill