[ SHOWGSD-L ] Westminster KC - 2013

  • From: "Paula M. Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:17:58 GMT

Been exhausted!!  Not even completely unpacked yet!

Harley and I flew out on Sunday morning.  I received e-mails from the airline
offering me $175 for my ticket because of all the standbys due to the storm
canceling flights on Friday and Saturday.  Then when we got to the airport, the
airline offered me $400 for my ticket.  Problem was that they couldn't get me
to NYC until after midnight and Harley showed at 11:00 Monday morning and that
would just be too difficult for me.  Besides, I was meeting up at JFK with my
oldest California friend who now lives in North Carolina and we wanted all the
time we could muster up in NYC.  We got to our hotel with no incidents.  Had
dinner at the New Yorker Hotel with Sergio Espejo and his Basenji client,
Jennie, along with some folks from Europe and other parts of the US.  Was fun
and one of the best meals I have had in a very long time....Oysters on the half
shell and Filet Mignon!   Exceptional!!

Saturday we showed under Jimmie Moses.  Harley didn't get a piece of the
action, but, stayed in til the end, through 2 cuts.  Jim did a GREAT job, IMHO.
 He will have quite a successful, and prestigious, dog show judge career, no
doubt.  Harley's handler, Jorge Olivera, was so sick, maybe the flu, but, was a
trooper, as usual.  He did a great job with Harley.  The show must go on, don't
you know?  :-)  I have decided that we need a new
ribbon/placing/award.................B.O.R.   =   Best of the Rest!!   That is
where Harley ended up!  I was a bit disappointed, of course, but, the dogs in
front of him were very nice animals and I really can't complain.  WKC did not
offer JAM/AOE's this year.  So, I can go to my grave thinking we would have won
one!   I can think whatever I want in my own little world, right?  :-)  :-)

Fellow Lister, Cathy Murch, lent me a crate for Harley's benching time.
Sometimes I am so moved by the few people like her that just offer help and
follow through!  I am thrilled to consider her a friend.

Visited with so many there.  Stephen Cabral was there and we spent a few
minutes chatting on Tuesday.  Lew and Nicki Bunch were there.  Only got to say,
"Hi," to Lew and Jimmie when they stopped at the Purina Hospitality area for a
cuppa.  Said, "Hi," to Sheree Moses at ringside.  Met and chatted with some
local exhibitors that I was unfamiliar with.  Nice dogs.   Ran into Julie Degan
and met her sister.  They look very much alike!!    Met one of my favorite
Xolo's, Georgio Armani.  He took the Breed and looked great.  I sure like that
dog.  The Best in Show monkey dog is SUCH a cutie.  Showed wonderfully, happy
and moving out like the 86 BIS winning GCH that he is!!

Lots of other nice dogs there, of course.  The new venue was awesome, roomy,
comfortable, and very accessible.  The shuttles ran flawlessly and we never
stood in ANY lines.  Leave hotel, jump on roomy, clean, modern shuttle, get to
entrance of Piers in 20 minutes or so, and, when released from the show about
5-ish, we were back to hotel in less than 1/2 hour.  Amazing how well-organized
WKC was this year.  Most pleasurable and not at all stressful.  It probably
helped that Martha Stewart wasn't there, hogging 3 to 4 aisles at once, with
her entourage and ensuing media, cameramen and all!!  :-)

Hope I get to do this again one day.  Since childhood, I have been intrigued
with Westminster and even now, I pinch myself that I "been there, done that!"
It is my ultimate thrill in the dog show world.  What a ride!

Thanks for listening.   Harley and I need more sleep!!

Later.

Paula, 236 days and counting

Home of 2012 GSDCA Dual Title EXCELLENT Award Recipient, 2 Time AKC JAM/AOE,
International Champion, Canadian Champion, & American Silver Grand Champion,
Asgard Harley Davidson, HT, PT, CGC, TC, HIC, OFA CHIC #64047 (Original
Version), 1st male GSD Grand Champion. 2010 #1 GSD in California, Lifetime #1
GSD in Michigan, 2010 #1 GSD male in USA (AKC GCH Stats), 2011 Westminster
Kennel Club Dog Show Invitee, Lifetime AKC Eukanuba Invitee. 2 Time Cruft's
Invitee.