[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: West coast national

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:54:30 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2005 6:39:46 PM Central Standard Time, ELG440@xxxxxxx
writes:
States such as Utah,  or Arizona,
or even Nevada can't support the show with the number of local  breeders you
will get in California
Since Utah is drivable for most people on the West coast, why is that state a
worse choice than California?  Making the show accessible to as many
exhibitors as possible just makes sense, and should increase the chances for a
strong
number of entries.  I thought Del Mar was great.  Next to home, it is one of
my favorite places!  The only problem with putting any national on a coast, is
the fact that not one single member lives in either the Atlantic or Pacific
oceans, or in the Gulf of Mexico ... and if someone is fortunate enough to live
on a tropical island, they would have to fly to the national anyway.
There is one valid argument for giving a national to every possible area.  It
"might" bring in locals who "might" become interested in the game because of
such an impressive show.  But even that argument comes with a flaw.  If the
national is difficult for most exhibitors to get to, the entry suffers.  As the
entry suffers, so does the public's perception of the importance of the show
itself. There is one other thing that is important to consider, which I've not
seen mentioned yet.  If the intent has ever been to put a national in
everyone's backyard at one time or another, do the people promoting that idea
really
understand just how big the United States of America is, and do we plan to
exclude the folks who live in Alaska and Hawaii?  No doubt the idea is full of
good intentions, but can the GSDCA afford such good intentions right now?

My first national was in 1985, and I left there thinking ... WOW!  My second
national was in 1992 and I left there thinking ... WOW!! ... then we started
planning a serious move to the specialty ring and I didn't miss another
national until Florida and Oregon.  Now, I know it is easy to be content with
what we
have, but for me, there is a constant nagging that compares what we have to
what we once had.  There are many excuses for why our numbers have dropped ...
but in the end it is the degree of interest generated in what we do that
determines how many people will be involved.  In order to increase interest, at
least at the national specialty venue, we had better focus on the "WOW" that is
only generated with the large entries that bring in large stomping and cheering
crowds.  That means that the show must be accessible (drivable) for as many
people as possible.

Tom Langlitz