[ SHOWGSD-L ] We're Back

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:35:58 -0800

Well I thought November was a bad month - record rainfall, followed by snow
- We were out of power 7 times the first 10 days of that month.  The rain
left lakes in the back yard.  Even the dogs who normally stand out in the
rain instead of under the roofs (all the runs have at least a 10 x 15 area
that is roofed, if not more) - they headed for their houses.  It was
miserable.

Since last Tuesday, it's been off and on stormy. I really forgot what
miserable was, until last Wednesday.  About 3 in the morning, a huge
"BOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!" hit over the house, shaking the walls.  Shook me
out of bed, it sounded like someone's house blew up.  Then it rained so
hard, I couldn't see out the back door too the kennel.  Of course both Mom
and I were a little jumpy, and didn't go back to sleep for several hours.
The next day was wave after wave of showers.  Thursday was clear in the day,
then we had another squall come through the area, and the power went out at
3:30pm - just as it was getting dark.  Okay, we're used to this routine -
candles out, blankets on, radio on, campstove set up.  The power was turned
it back on for about 2 hours at 8pm.  Finished cooking the stew, house got
warmed up.  Then. the forecasted terrible windstorm hit.  The wind was
unbelievable.  We've had several windstorms here, the last worst one was
Inauguration Day 1993.  That was pretty bad - I really think this one was
worse.

It howled long and hard.  The greenhouse I had staked down well, for the
other storms this winter, well, I don't have a greenhouse anymore.  It looks
like it was blown up.  The material that was over the frame is in pieces.  I
haven't been scared in a storm in a long time, I was scared.  (yup. the mean
biatch Kathaleen was scared - I admit it).  They have only closed the
Narrows Bridge for weather about 3 times in 16 years, but they closed it all
night long.  I heard via the radio they closed it because a van flipped over
in the middle of it from the wind.  But we obviously didn't see it. LOL

We expected to lose power.  We knew it.  We knew it was going to be bad -
but rain and wind at 50 degrees outside is not so bad, no power when it's
25-30F is not.  However, I am happy I've learned the how to make candles.
They are a substitute form of heat.  I also got smart and purchased a
propane heater.  But those things should be extinguished for sleeping.
Luckily - we had lots of blankets and that little black pom is wonderful for
warmth.

Anyway, after another 48 miserable hours, we're back with power and it's
nice to be warm.  Mom is thrilled to have her laptop going.  She got a
little cranky at me for being so insistent that she get out of those
housegowns and into something really warm - but then again, she didn't get
too cold either.  I've got to now figure out what in hell my Dad was
thinking when he was messing with the generator 2 years ago - because I
haven't got a clue and I'm not going through another 2 days like that.  At
least with a generator and a few gallons of gas, there's heat, light, and
some comfort.

In any event, if people in the Northwest can please check in on each other.
It wouldn't be a bad thing.

Kathaleen

Kathaleen Strong - Inflight Kennels Reg'd - Breeders of:

1995 US GV, AOE-1996 US GVx, Jubilee ROM

http://inflight.cnc.net