[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Wellness and Chicken Soup

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JANGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:57:54 GMT

Janet - I'm curious.  How can you tell how much that cooked chicken and turkey
weighs - I mean even after cooking how do you know from the label they still
aren't the top two ingredients?    Also, why are you ignoring the next two
ingredients which are chicken meal and turkey meal and saying that grains are
the next ingredients in the food, don't the chicken/turkey meals count too?
Gayle & the Hooligans!
Ringer-Honey-Kelly-Mac-Slider-Bruiser
Waiting at the Bridge:
Andy-Abbey-Tasha-Tex-Echo-Yukon-JR-Too-Niki-Bo

-- JANGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Ellen,

I am not a canine nutritionist, Linda Arndt is and this is her article, but
if you look at it, here is what she is trying to say:

Using "fresh, whole, or deboned" chicken as a protein source  sounds  good
> the public, but in fact it is a marketing gimmick.  Why?....  because in
> the
> industry, ingredients are listed  on the bags in the order of  their weight
> before cooking.

So Chicken Soup's first 2 ingredients are Chicken and Turkey.  This is  their
weight before cooking, so after cooking they get knocked down on the list  as
an ingredient.   The rest of the label has:  whole grain  brown rice, whole
grain white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed  tocopherols), oatmeal,
potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, duck, salmon,  egg product, flaxseed,
natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples,  dried skim milk,
cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium  etc, etc.  Linda
studies
nutrition, dog foods and is very versed on this  subject.  So is Paul.  I
just read their articles and learn what I can  from them.

Janet