[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "Wedgies"

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 15:47:16 -0400

sigh..... divide and conquer....

I decided to send this too the list because I got several similar

I LOVE horses and consider them wonderful companions, as well as being
exceptional tools of the ranching trade and one of God's greatest
masterpieces. So it does not surprise me that some folks are repulsed by the
idea of processing horses for food. I am as well and would never eat
horsemeat.  My goal is not to persuade anyone that horse processing is
desirable, but it certainly should not be outlawed as an option for managing
horses.  That's precisely the goal of HR503, and it is a serious threat to
animal agriculture as we know it.

When legislators are asked to ban horse processing based simply on the
negative emotions it evokes in some people, we have started down a very
slippery slope.  I have all the confidence in the world that cattle are
harvested in a humane, sanitary and defensible manner, because I've seen it
personally.  Horse processing faces all of the same scrutiny and inspections
that other livestock slaughter plants do.  The process is regulated by USDA
under the Humane Slaughter Act.  The overall thought of horses being
processed for food is not appealing to me or to the general public. But the
process is not illegal, nor is it inhumane.

Stories are told about horses being stolen, abused, and mistreated during
transport to slaughter.  But we already have laws against these practices
that cover all horses, not just those destined for processing.  We can deal
with mistreatment of horses under laws already on the books, without passing
a horse slaughter ban.

The processing of horses is just one of many different management options
for them.  Other options include adoption, rehabilitation, donation, and
private purchase.  I believe eliminating the processing of horses as a
management option actually poses a risk to horse welfare. The Ag Committee
heard witnesses at the last hearing - including horse welfare and veterinary
experts - discuss the options for handling as many as 90,000 unwanted or
abandoned horses that will have to be cared for.  They discussed the costs
related to this care, the unintended mistreatment of these animals in
non-regulated rescue facilities, and the environmental concerns of disposing
of horse carcasses.  The committee feels, and cattlemen agree, that HR 503
fails to address any of these issues.

But the most compelling reason to oppose HR503 is that it sets a drastic and
dangerous precedent for regulating animal agriculture.  The bill basically
says that you can follow all regulations to the letter in terms of humane
treatment, transport, and processing, but we're still going to ban horse
slaughter simply because some people find the practice disturbing. If we
allow that to happen, what's next?  If we let our likes and dislikes
determine animals' eligibility for slaughter, production agriculture is in
really big trouble.

The AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) opposes HR503 as does the
American Association of Equine Practitioners.

The fact is that, currently anyway, people have a CHOICE. They certainly can
find other ways to "dispose" of their horse when then end comes... noone HAS
to send a horse to slaughter. This bill will however will remove all choice.

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
Proud member GSDCA and Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
www.rihadin.com