[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Weak rears, extreme angles, or cow hocks...?

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 19:36:20 -0800

German Shepherd Dogs can stand four square just like any other Breed...
viewd  from the side angle, because of the angle and slope to their croup and
a slope to the topline AND a more angulated rear than any other Breed.....they
do not stand with their hocks and stifle straight up and down.......their hocks
will be angled a bit forward in order for their foot to be directly under the
weight of the hip joint when they stand four square naturally............or they
have to have both rear legs  pulled back till the hock is straight, but the feet
will not be under the hip joint and that is still a POSE!    Same pose you see
on all other Breeds also.

The GSD is ABOUT ANGLES, front and rear.   HOPEFULLY this won't start a
 "too  extreme" war as you can go to extreme with ANYTHING..even straight hocks!
Doesn't change the facts...... a properly angulated GSD with the shoulder and
rear
matching in angles will stand four square WITH some angulation or angles to the
hock and stifle from the side view.  None of this has anything to do with cow
hocks.
Start with a slope to the topline....... a 'zig' to the croup angle, a 'zag' to
the
upper
thigh angle,  a 'zig' to the lower stifle angle, and a 'zag' to the hock
angle......you just
won't have perpendicular straight hocks from the side view when standing four
square
naturally.   Cow hocks can be seen when moving and  don't have to be posed a
certain way to make that judgement.   It shows........
Posing them with the usual GSD pose should not cause them to appear cow hocked
either.    A dog with a long lower stifle will angle the hock IN at times when
posed
by a handler.....but  these dogs are not necessarily cow hocked and many move
clean on coming and going.    Dogs with SHORT lower stifles and not much
angulation and tight ligamentation can be cow hocked.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

> MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx writes:> I guess  I'll have to disagree then.  I see the
 Germans stacking their dogs  > four square all the time for people to show they
 have straight parallel  > hocks.> Heck, I was told to do it to Strauss to see
if he
 could stand  properly.> -Jackie    Marcato Shepherds