[ SHOWGSD-L ] We just don't know, but the Board does

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:07:16 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 7/31/12 2:51:02 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
stjamesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Isn't  the whole point of doing 3 years in a row to save money? That may
have been  the only way to realize true savings for our club.  It may not make
 everyone happy, but it looks like the board is doing what is best for the
club's treasury!  I am in favor of anything that will help get  the club's
finances back on track.  We may not like what is  happening, but hopefully
things will turn around for  us.

I agree with this. I understand that we will save $14,000, not one time,
but for each of three years.  That is $52,000, if my math is correct.

Now we have to figure out if we will lose in three years less than $52,000
in entries due to the cost of travel from both coasts, the expense of
flying  dogs, and the reduction in income due to people unable to come, rent
stalls, go  to the dinner, and buy from vendors.  If we don't lose that income,
then it  is a reasonable move.

I know a lot of California people won't be taking dogs that distance. They
might still go to the national, but entries should be down. On the other
hand,  those in the Midwest will be entering and maybe there are enough to
make up for  the loss.  In the past, California has always been the main
support for  entries.

All of this was most likely considered by our board. This is not a decision
 made lightly, and certainly not everyone agreed. But, we have to think of
what  might happen in 2013.  That is the key to the future of our club. It
might  not be enough to support the expenses, and if not, we would not have
the money  to hold a national without the reduced costs.  It is sort of a
safety  net.

When I first heard of the World Trials and our big celebration for the
100th anniversary, I was told we would be back flush with money. Since then I
have not heard the new predictions of what the show will cost or bring in
for  the club.

I would like to know what is now predicted?  Either way we are either
committed or should be committed depending on the answer.