[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We have answers, but not from me maybe

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: proudk9@xxxxxxxxx, carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 16:26:54 -0400 (EDT)

So Jen...just took a look at your site...mostly whites?  Saw a VERY  light
sable (Hollie) and a black and... mostly cream (Naomi)???? And a black w/  a
mostly white chest (Missy?).

Do the black and tans fade like that because of the white? Or does that
have something to do with when a white has what you all call "biscuit"?

You know...never mind.  I'm not breeding whites so it doesn't matter.  It's
all too complicated for me.

I do test to see who might carry the black or coat factor. I prefer not to
have too many long coats in a litter, reduces my choices of who to hold
back.

I'll stick with rich pigment...it pleases me and I don't have to keep all
of this straight <G>.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 9/15/2013 3:46:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
proudk9@xxxxxxxxx writes:

On Sep 15, 2013, at 12:33, carolyn mckenna  <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> That's all well and good,  Jeff,
Since this is in reply to my email- it's JEN. I've been called  interesting
things, but never by a man's name...
> but most of us don't  care about all that stuff.  We breed to
> the dictates of the  standard, which asks for strong rich colors, not
faded or washed-out.
I am  very surprised to think that most breeders on this list
wouldn't/don't care  about the stuff involved in the coat genetics of our
breed.  Having
an  understanding of them helps to breed those richer phaeomelanin colors.
Many  people seem to like dogs heavy on the eumelanin as well. Why wouldn't
one want  to increase the odds of getting what they want from their breedings?
>  Except for those who want an all black dog or a sable simply due to
personal  preference,
> color does not matter.  Nor does our standard list a  preferred color.
Personal preference dictates why we even have this  breed in the first
place, does it not?  If there weren't a preferred  pattern&colors in the breed
ring, our AKC registrations for color/pattern  would appear much differently
for starters.  We would have more of a  balance of patterns in the breed
ring if color/pattern didn't matter. We  wouldn't have dogs advertised in the
Review as being "black free" or as a  "black carrier" or "long coat free" if
the general appearance of our breed's  coat weren't important to some at
least.
> I will say that some
> have brought blacks  to an incredible position, so many gorgeous  correct
ones today.
> Also, don't know what all this talk about bi  colors is.
A bicolor is 3rd in the order of dominance on the agouti series.  It is
also called "tan point". So, no a black & white Sheltie nor a  Dalmatian would
qualify. However, a tri-color Sheltie (black with tan and  white) is
genetically the same as a bicolor GSD with the addition of the Irish  Spotting
gene
(I think- one of those white pointing genes anyhow). Also, think
Rottweiler, Gordon Setter, Dobermann.
>  A bi is simply a  black and tan of
> two colors, no third color, not even shadings.   A Dalmation is a bi
color as is a black
>  Sheltie with a white  collar.
While I see your point about calling any 2 colored dog a  bicolor in its
literal definition, again, bicolor when referred to on the  agouti gene, it is
as a tan (or red or cream, as determined by the Int series)  point; which
if I knew how to do superscript here on my iPhone, it is a>t  when written in
the series.
Sable/wild  type=a>w
Saddle=a>s
Bicolor=a>t
Solid=a
But don't all of  us know this stuff I thought.
> My male appeared to be a bi when he was  young, but
> a sprinkling of mahogany (some might call it red ) hairs  appeared at the
base of this ears.
My pups few head hairs are the same rich  tan as her legs, but bicolors
don't typically have hair scattered like that.  Cleaner margins and the
head/facial phaeomelanin is restricted to the  eyebrows/cheeks/ear inners.
> not the same color as his legs, so not a  bi.  Who cares; he is the rich,
strong color the standard
>  dictates.  Though I personally like the black and tans whose tan has
shadings, I certainly
> will mot throw out the bi colors or the blacks  for their color.
A good GSD is a good GSD regardless if they're in the  popular pattern or
not. I have never been a fan of sables myself, but a couple  of my favorites
from recent years have been sables!  I can't pass on a  beautifully
structured dog just because I like "x" pattern better  :)
JP&P

"<gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>"  <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>;
"<bnbgsds2000@xxxxxxxxx>"
<bnbgsds2000@xxxxxxxxx>; "<Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "<ELG440@xxxxxxx>"  <ELG440@xxxxxxx>
> Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:23  PM
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We have answers, but not from me  maybe
>

> I'm sorry but I must say I don't 100% agree  with ya Penny though I often
do share your opinions across the topics!
>  While I do agree that breeding just for blacks doing black to black or
black  carrier breedings, the black does get better with each successive
generation  and often loses any "bleed-through" unless it's stamped into the
line  thoroughly or a paled black carrier parent is used.
> However, to  improve/if i could only say "control"(!!) coat pigment, it's
3 separate  modifiers beyond the expression of color or the epistatic gene
for white.  First, there is a modifier related to the amount of black that
will appear on  the mask/face, a second that will affect how black the mantle
(from the neck  to the tail) is, and the third, what is called the
"Intensity" gene which  controls the ground (non-black) color; it is commonly
believed (my humblest of  opinions included) that the highest intensity=red is
also the most  recessive.  Though not all these genes will appear in all
patterns/colors  (white included with black, bi & the rest!) due to, say a
black
dog, being  solid colored the mask & mantle coverage doesn't show up, and
possibly the  intensity genes may be expressed enough to tell the ground color
if the black  dog has some "bleed-through". In a white, if they would
otherwise be a rich  tan or red ground colored dog if they had a colored gene
> to express,  you can of
> ten get an idea of how much mask/mantle they have, since  for some
unknown reason, an otherwise black/red epistatically white dog will  have
cream,tan,orange,biscuit,whatever one wants to call it(!!!)- but  technically
phaeomelanin  in the areas they would be black/eumelanin if  they instead had a
gene or two to display their color instead of the  white.  How do the two
pigments flip flop places in richly colored white  dogs?  Pigment is considered
a completely separate thing than in colored  GSDs- pigment in whites refers
to the pigment quality of the skin- how dark or  black does the nose stay-
black lips, eye rims, paw pads, preferably any  showing skin (places hair is
thin) such as ear inners, muzzle, testicles,  belly etc being grey to black
is preferable, and the darker the more  desirable. I must say that black
skin pigment looks rather interesting on a  grey sable dog! ;). The whites
considered to have the best pigment are the  ones black enough to have
> black pigmented toenails-
> like I  mean solid black just as in our colored dogs. Many pups will have
grey stripes  down the top center of their toenails, which is good, but
black toenails is  about perfection, as the rest is generally pitch black
before the nails are  affected like that.
> In all pattern models, a cream/tan ground colored  dog can produce a red,
but 2 reds bred together generally don't produce  anything lighter than
tan, if even anything other than reds.  I  personally think the intensity
series is polygenic and acts in a threshold  manner. That would explain how a
cream/silver can produce rich tan/red in her  colored puppies. It would also
explain how many black/tan to black/tan (just  think color on the intensity
series and forget pattern for a moment. This  applies to all, even the solids)
breedings produce litters with everything  from black/red to black/silver
in color.
> For the mantle portion, I  can't truly say how it is inherited. I would
like to say that more black is  dominant, but I'm not sure on that one. I
know 2 dogs both with dark mantles  bred together produce pups with all nice
large mantles. Even the lightest of  the bunch still has a nice large saddle
connecting up his whole neck and down  his entire tail with the extra black
for the ink-dipped tip! ;) though it  doesn't extend down onto his belly/legs
as it does in his darker  siblings.  2/3 of that litter was real dark both
mantle (both parents)  and mask (daddy), 1/6 had a dark mantle and a middle
dark mask (more similar  to mom & her siblings), 1/6 had a lighter mask than
both parents (being  similar to daddy's daddy instead). Both parents were
black/tan saddles; but  there were 2 red puppies and the other 4 were tan,
varying from a lighter  golden tan to the darker brownish rich tan with red in
patches (like on head,  hocks, and the like). That would suggest that
> in both the mask and  th
> e mantle modifiers, darker is dominant.
> Again, the gene  series controlling the mantle reaches across all
patterns, from the obvious in  sables & saddles; to in bi-colors where
sometimes
they're so tan (or  whatever) with a very small mantle they could be mistaken
for a very dark  saddle, and sometimes they're so dark with a heavy mantle
that only the  bottoms of their legs have any color on them... Both are
genetic bicolors,  it's just that mantle-sizing gene/s at work. The latter
example of the bicolor  dog could be mistaken for a genetic black who has small
mantle modifiers and  ends up with a bunch of bleed-through, where the blacks
with a heavy mantle  are the ones that start out black black and stay that
way. No white blotches,  no tan in their toes. It seems the trick to knowing
the difference of if its a  black or a bi is knowing the dog from a puppy(or
someone who does) since the  bleed-through blacks will start out all black
and not grow color in until they  shed out a time or three while a
> bicolor is an obvious bicol
>  or next to a true solid black by the time they're ready to leave the
breeder  at 8 or so weeks old.
> My wee pup at over 4 months now is still  staying so nice & black (both
her mask & her mantle) she actually more  favors a bicolor--well for now
anyhow.  Too bad she's not indeed a  bicolor- that's my favorite pattern!  I
could about care less what the  ground color is on a bicolor, but I can say it
is striking as well when their  lower legs & eyebrows are dark tan or red...
I was on the fence with her  pattern for registration but then I saw tan
hairs on her head here 'n there  between her ears.  Boo-hoo!!!
> I'm not quite as finicky on the  intensity series results as I am in
wanting a dog with a dark dark mask and a  large mantle regardless of their
pattern.
> With my favorite pattern  being bicolor,  I'd want one who is quite
mostly black/considered dark  for a bicolor. I tried for one this litter as
daddy's a b/t dark saddle who's  a bicolor carrier and mommy's a b/t who's a
solid black carrier. Of course  there were 6 saddled puppies despite the odds
there should have been 2 who  weren't saddles. Oh well at least odds &
statistics came out that there  was 3 boys & 3 girls. The one time I wanted
most
all of one sex (girls) I  got the perfectly balanced litter. Aaaah it worked
out just right anyhow;  every puppy went to a wonderful home and all but 1
had previous GSDs and the  one who didn't had a Rottweiler that died of cancer
at 11 so I figured they  might manage one of my pups!  I even think I got a
pretty nice puppy even  if she's an extended saddle...
> Thanks for listening to my humble  opinions on color genetics and one
more-- (had to learn myself since I like  having black carrier dogs (if not
epistatically solid black in my whites) in  my breeding program. It usually
guarantees more than one pattern in my  litters. They're more interesting that
way I just happen to think coming in  more than one pattern/look. It's
always an interesting result when a white is  bred into a colored line where
he/she happens to be, if a gene for color were  added, a solid black dog, and
better yet a coat carrier as well as having the  genes for both white and for
solid black....:  then the colored model  gets test bred for everything
regarding coat type:  what it's recessive  carrier pattern is from any other
patterned pups than that parent displays  them self; if it carries for long
coat, by having a coated pup or 2 start  growing in after they're 2 weeks or so
along (I personally wouldn't want that  white parent to be a long
> coat themselves-- then if t
> he  colored parent was a carrier as well, theoretically, half the litter
would be  long coats. Too much for me even though I do admire them.), and is
also tested  for any white carrier status. Really fun is when there's 3
different  colors/patterns in the litter: white, and whatever the
non-genetically-black  parent has at their agouti alleles.
> Sorry so long!!
>
>  Jen P & the Pack who also has a good idea about the AKC registration
process regarding color & pattern. We should identify the dogs in our  breed
so much more accurately than we do!  But that's another tangent...  :-)

> JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud  K911
> www.jaydeesphs.com
> Committed to the Total Dog you can be  Proud of!!!
> AKC Breeder of Merit
>
> On Sep 14, 2013, at  12:04 PM, "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> Personally I don't favor the red color.  But breeding to a  black will
always
>> enhance pigment.  (Also a bi-color.   Izzy is a bi and her pups are ALL
very
>> dark black and tans and  sables.)  When I bred blacks exclusively in the
80s,
>> it  seemed that each generation got blacker and shinier.  Some shone in
the
>> sun like patent leather.
>>
>> Penny in  NC
>> The Farm Dog Forever.
>>
>> From: Sarah  Minsk
>> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We have answers, but not from  me
>>

>> But not red, huh.Hmm. One breeder  told me when she wants to improve
pigment
>> (red color) she breeds  to black dogs. So, now I am confused!!! Not the
first
>> time and  won't be the last!
>>
>> How do dogs get so red then versus  tan?
>>
>> I can only stay online for a little while as  sunset and Yom Kippur is
>> approaching...so please don't be  offended if I don't come online again
until
>> Sunday.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sarah

 is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the
any kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND
of the  Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

> Each Author is  responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
and its  administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in  any post.

> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING,  REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L  WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST  MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF  THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE
PROSECUTED.

> For assistance, please  contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org
> NATIONAL BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

============================================================================ÿÿ

===========================================================================>
POST is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the
original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of
any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND
of  the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

> Each Author  is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
and its  administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in  any post.

> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING,  REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L  WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST  MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF  THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE
PROSECUTED.

> For assistance, please  contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org
> NATIONAL BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.