[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We done good and are doing better

  • From: "Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:13:51 -0700

Hip Dysplasia Statistics

Here is the OFA on hips but has not be updated since 2010

http://www.offa.org/stats_hip.html?view=2

If you look at the number of GSDs that have been tested to
the actual number of GSDs AKC Registers each year
it does fail in comparison to them. Now the bigger picture
is do all breeders OFA for hips and elbows are not?  Yes,
the well established Quality Breeders do but the mass producers
that are just in it to sell pups NO.  Now who does the most pet
buyers buy from it is usually the mass producers as they are
beginners to the breed, less cost for the pup and they just want a GSD.

After growing up with being surrounded by good GSDs looked for certain
dogs in the background that I always liked. However, there are always
those GSDs there in the background that do make a negative impact
on them sometimes.  Waiting for the one liner of my message now
to appear.  :-)

Theresa
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 6/18/14, Evan wrote:

 When the problems of hips became clear, the OFA, Orthopedic
 Foundation for
 Animals was established. The very first breed club to
 support the OFA was
 the  GSDCA.  We supported them not only
 financially, but also by having our
 dogs  rated, and using that in our breeding program.

 In doing so, we drastically reduced the incidence of hip
 dysplasia in our
 breed. We took a steep curve to improvement, and when we
 reached a point
 where  we were much less likely to have HD in our dogs,
 we began to slow down
 the  improvement rate. There is only so much you can
 do, and it is impossible
 to  eliminate HD in any large breed.  All you can
 do is recognize it, and
 use  that information in your breeding program.

 Thankfully.

 Evan

http://showgsd.org/mail.html