[ SHOWGSD-L ] We do love animals

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:44:38 EDT

dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I think  I have seen enough horses die.

This struck me as I watched. I remember when we (the board) toured  the horse
farms in Lexington, they brought out some of the top winners, and  explained
how they never got attached to the owners, and I realized how  different it is
than dogs.

But, the sport does have a cruel side, and while I should not criticize,
(since I have never owned a race horse), there is a part of the sport that
strikes me as unpleasant.  Watching your animal be put down in public, or
watching
your hopes and dreams dashed in a few short minutes seems a bit  harsh for my
taste.

I was never a  big horse racing fan.  I do understand the  attraction for
those who want to gamble on the race, or the pomp and color of  the event. I
love
the look of a champion horse, and even like the  smell.  I realize there are
those who enjoy the involvement, but I too am  one of those who will avoid
watching another race.

Maybe they made too much of the horse they tried to save, or had too much
news and information of the gallent efforts to save a stud that tried so  hard
to live. To me, there is a dark side to the sport, (as there is in any
competition), that does not appeal to me.  I wonder if there will be others
who feel
the same?

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds