[ SHOWGSD-L ] We buried Obie today

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:04:38 -0400

We buried Obie today.  Obie was solid black, Ch. pointed Landsend's Obie of
Jeenellyn, CD, OFA.  He died in the fall of 1990, when he lost his fight with
DM.  What we buried were his ashes, enclosed in a modest, brown plastic box for
all of these years.  But what a dog.  He got his CD in 3 straight shows, even
though he hated obedience.  But he loved me.  I remember the third trial:
pouring rain, a specialty in York, PA.  Obie "stayed" for both the long sit and
long down, despite a steady pouring rain that colored my hands red from the dye
in my obedience lead.  I was proud of him:  many got up--they couldn't stand
that downpour.  And I remember his first point which he got from the 6-9 puppy
class in Buffalo:  shepherds were in first and Obie was in the ring.  It was 9
am and the Star Spangled Banner blared from a near-by speaker.  Obie actually
puffed his chest out, as if he knew that the song stood for liberty and
freedom.  The judge was looking at him in wonder--and I knew we'd already won
at that moment.  And we did.  Throughout the years, Billy and I have moved many
times before discovering this little house in Cragsmoor.  The little brown box
with Obie's remains has moved with us.  Early this morning I was cleaning my
dresser and once again found the little brown box--the box that represents my
love for a very special shepherd, indeed my love for our breed.  And I knew it
was time:  Obie is buried in the yard, where I will plant a burning bush.
Symbolic?  Sure, but I remember, I remember.
Penny in NY