[ SHOWGSD-L ] We agree, and see it differently

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 13:05:53 EST

In a message dated 10/31/09 5:26:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
janandmort@xxxxxxx writes:
Judges  do not have to educate but should, if they are capable of
critiquing, and are  requested to do so should give proper reasons for their
placings. These  reasons have anatomical answers and, in my opinion, should be
explained as  such. Most observers can see the difference in front reach but
just
might be  interested in WHY!!
Education is the crux of progress and we all can learn  and hopefully
progress.

I agree fully with Morton, and he raises a great point.

But, I am sure everyone remembers a national where the judge said
publically things that were very hurtfull to some new exhibitors, and I have no

doubt that was the last time they showed dogs. Giving opinions in private is
always a help, but then again, they are only one person's opinion.

Having a judging license is like getting a law degree. It doesn't mean you
know anything, but rather have put in the time, and passed a test.  Some
judges have a great wealth of knowledge and others not so much.

You need to decide who you will listen to, and then over the years discover
 how correct they are.  Even in court we don't think judges know more, they
 just get the final say. In the ring the decision is what goes in the
record  book, but that doesn't by itself make it right.

At times it is the judge who does not know, who will insist on telling
you.  Others, you have to ask.

For those who wonder, Mort is one you should always listen to.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/