[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Water question

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 18:31:57 -0600

What an interesting question... It just happened I read this email while at
work, so asked doc (DVM of course as I'm just a lowly cvt) what her feelings
and recommendations were. This is what she said:
She has always drank the water wherever she was, along with whatever companion
animals (horses included too!) she was traveling with- but she calls herself
blessed/lucky/whatever that she has a good stomach and her animals have as
well; any pet with a "normal" digestive system should be able to manage A (not
many) water change during a stay away from home.
However, if an animal (cats are more prone to sensitivity even than dogs)
already has a sensitive stomach/digestive system, they will most likely have a
negative reaction to the change/s in water, so yes those dogs who are already
predisposed are best to have water from home for the duration of their travels
when possible.
I have always carried enough to reach my destination and then usually drank the
water wherever we were at- especially when we'd be gone 2-3 days or more. We
would then bring that water back with us for the journey home until they'd get
back on their regular source.  Shame on old-fashioned me for feeding my dogs
any and all edible table scraps-  and the chickens get them if it's "unfit for
the dogs" (so the dogs are pretty spoiled - only "fresh left overs" for them or
the birds would never get anything LOL) but I must say my dogs don't get sick
even with the variety of foods (& spices) they get, so I don't expect they
would from a water change. We will see about the youngster soon enough!
She also says the best food is the supper you make (for your pet) since you
know what goes into it and it will never be on a recall list!!  We think a
little differently than most small (& large since we service both) animal
practices!  Plus how many raw/home cook fed dogs & cats do you know who are
overweight or obese?  None that we know of...
For those local & interested, we also do TCVM including acupuncture; and for
extremely reasonable rates too. My kind of place!  (Hmmm maybe that's why I
only get paid so much too...  Heehee)
Happy travels,
Jen P & the Pack off to stick my LI 1 and BL42. I need some pain relief!

PS did anyone else not know that Dr Clemmons is still actively teaching?  (But
not western veterinary medicine anymore...). I found out today I have a class
with him starting in May!  I can't wait to pick his brain extra about our breed
and DM and TCVM in its treatment. We have a Boxer who is 14 and in early-mid DM
progression who has a new lease on life from acupuncture weekly and her
wheelchair sits unused in the corner now!  At least for now but to get quality
life is worth it since she's not just alive at 14 she's still living at full
speed ahead :)

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911
www.jaydeesphs.com
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
AKC Breeder of Merit

http://showgsd.org/mail.html