[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Was Head Pieces 2008 US National --now other things.

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Lindenhill German Shepherds'" <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 03:13:29 -0800

Hi Michael:

I think you are correct to some degree.  What I’m referring to is in relation
to what I have been told the AKC requests of Parent Clubs – at the end of the
standard, to list faults in some order of severity, so that judges learning the
breed, I assume can have a quick reference point.  As such, those things
actually listed as a fault in the standard are listed there.

When we look at the standard, and compare the various components, while this is
not termed a “head” breed by comparison to other breeds, our standard does
take great pains to describe what is desirable, but falls short of terming the
less desirable a “fault”.  The difference being I guess, a fault is more
severe than undesirable.  As I said in my other post, there is nothing I like
better than big hunky, beautifully chiseled head on a male and a feminine,
clean-cut head on a bitch.

I think our standard is clearly very a well written guide to bring us, as
breeders, the most desirable, superior animals we can produce; however, if what
I’ve seen at the past 3 of 4 Nationals  and what I’ve seen over the past 7
years of futurity judging is any indication, we have breeders and judges who
are NOT following the basic concepts of what you mention in terms of
“looking, moving and acting” like a GSD.  As breeders, good breeders use
the standard as a guide to help us decide which animals are worthy of breeding
and exhibiting.  As judges, it’s imperative that it is used to determine
correct, and award placements based upon the standard.

I think we may be getting caught up in the semantics of things.  What I was
trying to point out is – while I agree with you that headpieces (more
apparent on the dogs than the bitches this year to me) have degraded, what is
far more distressing is the loss of natural, athletic, coordinated motion that
allows the dogs to propel themselves forward in a manner that gives them
“flight” – that natural outreaching, elastic motion which electrifies you
with each step that if you’re in tune to it, gives you  “goose-bumps”.
It’s lacking – and when you go to a National, where the crème of the crop
is supposed to be, either the breed doesn’t have a majority of these dogs
anymore being exhibited by people, or they stayed home.  Since I’ve been
around the country watching a few shows, I see the results of the dogs winning
from around the country and I saw a good deal of them at the National – I’d
say the former is the case.  Breeders MUST pay attention to the “moves like a
shepherd” part of the equation – because, as a whole, if the National is
any example, “Houston, we have a problem”.

Kathaleen